My baby was diagnosed with RSV 1 week ago and now..

She has had a cough for 3 weeks mostly at night. we had to take her to the er 2week before she was diagnosed with rsv and the ER dr said that it was croup well 2 week later i took her to her pediatrician bc she still had a cough and runny nose(green),, they did the nasal swab to test for RSV. It came back positive. well that was one week ago and she still has a cough at night i feel so sorry for her because it wakes her up, and she jus is misrible. I give her cough and congestion medicine and it helps but i cant just give it to her all night long we use a warm mist humidifier and i put vicks vapor rub on her. What should i do she is 16 months old. The only times she coughs is when she is taking a nap or bedtime....

bbd75939

Asked by bbd75939 at 5:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 1- do not give her cough and congestion meds they are not ok for kids under 6
    2- sorry sorry your lil 1 isnt feeling well
    3- turn on a hot shower and sit in the bathroom with baby reading books or something and let baby breath in the steam
    4- if she is not getting better or seems worse take her back to the doc and have them listen to her lungs

good luck!!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• put vicks on her FEET and then put socks on her. it SHOULD help her cough.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 5:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• RSV is just a worse form of a cold. the cough will last up to 8 weeks. Makes sure that it is okay to give her the cough and cold meds per your pedi. Mine let me give some to my 17 mo when she was sick last time. If your LO is wheezing then you should talk to your doc about getting a nebulizer. They do help with the cough b/c the medicine helps calm the broncho spasms. I hope your LO feels better soon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• RSV sucks :(
    If she is only coughing when she sleeps... is she sleeping at an incline? She should if she isn't. I would bet she is coughing more when she sleeps because all of the mucous chokes her. Put a couple of pillows under her crib mattress to create an incline. And before bed time suck out her nose really well.
    Make sure she drinks a ton during the day to keep the secretions thin.
    Did your doctor prescribe the cough medicine? Because she is too young to have cough med's.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Rsv is horrible and the cough will be there for a while if she is other wise fine she is ok. My DD had it when she was 5 months old and was hospitalized with it for a week. I swore she had that cough for months afterwards. Do as others suggested incline her mattress and steam could help. I wouldn't give her cough medicine it will run its course. I know its annoying but it will eventually go away.
    Arianna0825

Answer by Arianna0825 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• No, do not put Vicks on a baby's feet; it may work, but it is not safe for them. I don't know if the wet sock treatment could be done on one so young, but I'd look into it.
    Anonymous

• i would try proping her up at nite or nap time.
    ems9909

Answer by ems9909 at 6:46 AM on Jan. 27, 2010