Is it safe to jump up and down while pregnant?

I know that this has to be one of the most.... ignorant questions I have ever asked, but I was dancing around with my two year old the other day and we were going to do some (little) jumps in a cirlce but then I wasn't sure if this was 'pregancy' approved or not.

Better safe then sorry? Anyone know any information for or against?

ethans_momma06

Asked by ethans_momma06 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yes, it's fine. you can go jogging, swimming, do aerobics (recommended actually), yoga, pilates, ride a bike (better a stationary one in late pregnancy, go horseback riding (as long as you keep it slow), skating... pregnancy is not a disability. the baby is happy and cushioned, unless you land directly on your belly (in late pregnancy) there is very little risk of ANY harm.

Jump, climb, swing, run, play dance!!!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• IMO i think it should be ok, the baby has so much cushin in there.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 5:55 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Hmm I would just hold your 2 yr old's hands while he/she jumps just to be safe. Maybe little gentle jumps on the balls of your feet would be okay though.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 5:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• go horseback riding
    -----------------------------

never go horseback riding. You are on an animal and animals can be unpredictable and may throw you off. I think light jumping is ok, better yet, just let your toddle jump and you can fake jump, lol, on your toes up and down
    Anonymous

• anon- I simply listed activities that have been PROVEN SAFE during pregnancy. yes, a horse is an animal, and if you are not used to working with them it is obviously NOT the best of times to begin. HOWEVER, it is a "safe" activity so long as you take necessary precautions. ie partnering with an animal that is familiar with you, in an arena or highly traveled trail. keeping speed at a MINIMUM. Horses are not simply unpredictable beasts.

You risk yourself (and your unborn child) every time you get in your car- so, to me, questions as to what physical activities are safe is slightly ridiculous (no offense to the op- it was a genuine question). It IS statistically safer to go horseback riding while pregnant, than it is to ride in a car.

I am so tired of people treating pregnancy like a disease. *sigh*
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• OP- I was jumping around, going from here to there on my living room floor the other day with my kids. We where doing a Bollywood work out on comcast on Demand. Nothing wrong with it. btw im 30 weeks
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 8:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Actually these answers have helped me also. I have been so worried that if i bump something I will hurt the baby. Thanks
    armywifeproud

Answer by armywifeproud at 6:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Nothing wrong with it as long as you don't have any pre-existing conditions that contraindicate it (placenta previa, pre-eclampsia). People do aerobics all the time when pregnant!
    bhwrn1

Answer by bhwrn1 at 10:28 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• as long as you don't fall over....go for it.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:52 AM on Jan. 24, 2010