How long can you use a convertible car seat, in terms of years?

I have been reading up on car seats, and I've seen a site suggest that convertible car seats won't last as long as they claim they can because of the expiration limits and safety, as with any car seat. Is this true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, all car seats expire... most seats are around 6 years.... so a convertible seat that goes from baby to child, even if it happens to convert to a booster isn't going to last long enough for a child to be out of a seat because in most states you need to be in a booster until you are 8 years old. However.... there are almost no seats on the market that would do a good job of that anyway... a seat like the Alpha Omega would probably be outgrown by the age of 3 by most kids even though it claims to fit kids for longer... it's a crappy seat. Sometime like the Radian however, which doesn't convert to a booster but allows you to harness would easily allow you to go from newborn to at least a low back booster.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:11 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Most seats expire around 5-6 years and that I don't think my child will be in a convertible seat for more then 6 years before outgrowing it and needing a booster instead. Now you wouldn't be able to use it for a second child. My son was in an infant carrier until he was 8 months old and then went into his convertible that he grew out of at about age 4 and he is now in a high back booster. Since there is a couple years left in his convertible we use it as a back up seat for his sister now.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:29 PM on Jan. 22, 2010