Idaho moms! I need info! Please help!

I am going to be moving to Idaho in the relatively near future and I need some info about the cost of living in southern Idaho, if anyone can help me with that. I need to know what to expect as far as utility costs, grocery costs, and and percentage taken out of paychecks for taxes (3 deductions)... Also, if anyone can tell me round about what homeowner's insurance runs down there, that would help a bundle, too! If you know the answer to ANY of these questions, please post! Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• Call a realtor in the area....

Answer by rkoloms at 7:01 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• There are HUGE variables in all of those.

I lived in Idaho for 25 years, so I could probably help you out.
    When you say southern Idaho, do you mean Boise, Nampa, Meridian, Caldwell?

Your homeowners insurance will depend on your house, (age, price, materials) and also if you have auto insurance with the same company.

Housing costs are pretty reasonable

The sales tax is a straight 6 percent, and includes everything, even groceries.

Check out sperlingsbestplaces.net for more specifics.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 10:55 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• OP - twin mommy, I am looking at a house on southern Nampa... And you're right - housing prices are ridiculously reasonable! I am just trying to figure out our budget, to see if I'll need to get p/t work or if my DH's income will be sufficient to actually tide us over, when we buy our house. That's why I wanted utility info, and comparable grocery costs. Thanks for the website, though. I'll check it out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Southern nampa is growing, and it has a good mix of people as far as incomes go. Groceries less expensive than many other places that I have been, such as California, Colorado, and the eastern US.

In Nampa your taxes will be very inexpensive, less than 2,000 for a 350,000 home. I would also check out the school district before you choose a nampa school, and see if you are okay with it.

Nampa used to be just farmers/ranchers and migrant workers, but it is changing into a more family-friendly place. I would look into Meridian also. It is a bit more expensive, but the schools are nicer and there is less crime.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 7:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Thanks for that info... I've already found a house in Nampa that I'm very, very interested in. We are just waiting for pre-approval, basically. Its in southern Nampa, in a very nice subdivision. I like Meridian, but it IS too expensive for us. But I still plan on checking out that website you suggested...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jan. 25, 2010