Do you make a point of having your yearly pap smear?

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 6:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Health

• i dont, usually i go in if i feel a pain, last year i had 2. so i should be good til at least july.
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 6:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Yep, I have one every year.
    Anonymous

• I used to until I had a hysterectomy.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Yes, I do. Cervical cancer runs rampant in my family.
    MalhotraFamily

Answer by MalhotraFamily at 7:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Please Please dont even think of skipping.  I am a cervical cancer survivor.  My ignorance tore my life apart.  My children's life became shambles.  All because I thought it was unimportant.  I went thru a very painful surgery where they did a full hysterectomy, took all my lymph nodes in my stomach.  Then I was in remission, and the cancer showed again  in my gallbladder.  Again I was in remission.  Now a few months ago I found out I had cancer cells in my esophagus. My daughter who is 19 was diagnosed with cervical cancer and had a very serious surgery where she had to drop out of college for a semester to take care of her health issues.  She now is in remission and back in college.  She has no idea if she will be able to have children ever. If you think its upsetting going to the doc's imagine the doc setting in you in a room and telling you that you have cancer!
    Anonymous

• no. i think they are getting away from the annual recommendation if paps are normal.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Mine have been normal so now it is every other year unless I feel something is not right.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I go every year. So far, no problems, thank God!!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I used to when I was on the pill...after I stopped taking it, I kinda stopped going unless I was pregnant. I just had one in Nov since I'm pregnant but I guess I should start making a point to get one every year... :/
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 11:13 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Yeah I get one every year mainly because I usually have to get my BCP Rx re-filled. I actually skipped 2009 because my last pap was in Dec 08. I found out I was pregnant in June 09, and my doctor said I could wait until my 6 week postpartum check up. I too have read that the American Gynecology Association is recommending them every 2 years if you have normal paps. I will probably still go every year since things like breast, ovarian, and cervical cancer run in my extended family.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2010