If I have a bank account but there isn't any money in it, can I still get them to cash a check for me?

Someone told me that you had to have a certain amount of money in your bank account to cash a check there. Is this true? My account is empty and I need to cash this check. I would just deposit it and wait, but I need the money now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Some banks will. Some put holds on checks now to give them time to clear the bank they are drawn off of. T he best way is to take the check to the bank its drawn on at cash it there.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• just call the bank and ask
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 6:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• You have to have the money to cover it. It is just for incase the check bounces. The bank is trying to save you from any money problems.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• It depends on the bank - mine won't unless I have enough money in there to cover the check, but my husband's bank will.

Answer by missanc at 6:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• it also depends on the check. if it is a payroll check or a government check, then they will usually cash it for you , as long as the company hasn't been flagged for bouncing their check.

If it is a payroll or govt check walmart will also cash it for a fee..no more then $3. (has to be a computer generated payroll check)

personal checks must clear first unless you go to the bank it was written from..so they can verify the person's account at the time of cashing. You would need most likely 2 forms of identifications and to give a fingerprint to cash it then.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Cash it at the bank where it originates.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Yeah..all banks are different...some will...some won't...my current bank won't cash a check unless the amount I already have in the bank will cover it if it's bad..so I have to deposit it and wait a couple days before it clears...if you need the money right away do what the above poster said and go to the ban the check is written on.
    Anonymous

• Is it a personal check or business check? If business, just take it to the bank where the original account if from. If it's a personal check, you could do the same also. If you take a personal check to your own bank, then they may hold it for a couple of days. You would really need to call your bank and see what their policy is on that. Every bank is different
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Phht, no, we're $750 in the hole and we cashed a $300 check today - actually put half in savings but they don't & can't say a thing.
    Anonymous

• It depends upon the bank, but more importantly it depends upon your relationship with the bank. If you you have a history of being an honest and reliable customer they might cash the check. This is one reason I prefer small banks.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:55 PM on Jan. 22, 2010