If you are pro same sex marriage, do you think churches should be allowed....

to refuse to perform the ceremony? Even if same-sex marriage were legal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• See, this is why I have always said that if we are going to make same sex marriage legal we need to make it where only magistrate can sign marriage certificates. Then those who want a religious ceremony can have one. But no more of religious figures signing legal documentation. That way no Pastor, Priest, Rabbi, etc etc has to worry about possibly getting in trouble for denying to marry them.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• YES.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I absolutely think churches should be able to refuse. If they were not allowed to refuse a legal marriage between anyone same sex or not, wouldn't it be mixing church and state for the "state" to tell them they can't refuse?

Anonymous

• yes, they should NOT be forced to perform same sex marriages if that is that organization/religion's choice.
    Anonymous

• I think this is a huge problem that churches have with Gay Marriage becoming legal. Even if at first the law stated churches didn't have to marry them if they didn't want to, eventually that would be overturned and churches would be FORCED to perform the ceremony. Meaning the government could tell churches how to run their church, and it wouldn't just stop at the government telling the churches they couldn't refuse marriage ceremonies.
    Somewhere along the line a couple would want to marry in a church that didn't approve and when they are turned down the couple would turn around and sue the church.
    Anonymous

• They should be able to follow their faith and not marry people they feel would be wrong to marry. My pastor won't marry people who are not born again, not members of our church or lived together before marriage. Those who have been divorced he will only marry after they go through 12 weeks of marriage counseling with him. As a Pastor he should have a choice. Many in California did not believe that and were picketing churches and planning to sue churches. Also the schools were teaching those who believe being gay is a sin are bigots. Keep it about gay marriage and not about imposing a lifestyle on those who disagree with it gay marriage will happen.
    Anonymous

• Crissy I completely agree.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:35 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• churches can refuse to marry opposite sex people if they want as it is now.....I am all for same sex marriage, but no one should be forced to do the ceremony if they dont want to or dont believe in it, and I cant imagine anyone wanting to get married by someone that doesnt want to marry them anyway
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Yes to the original question and I totally agree with crissy.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I support gay marriage. If gay marriage became legal, churches should have the right to refuse to marry anyone, JUST LIKE THEY DO NOW. Many churches have requirements before allowing couples to marry, some stricter than others. One in my area will not marry couples who are living together. The Catholic church won't marry divorced people until the obtain an annulment.

My current minister supports gay marriage and would happily marry gay couples if it was legal in our state. Not all churches, or ministers, are the same.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2010