Help... my 2 1/2 year old doesn't want to take naps anymore.

I finally took my son's pacifier away last week and that has been going fairly well. The only problem is that he doesn't want to take naps anymore. Does anyone have any tips on how to get him back on a routine? HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They will all stop at sometime. My alomost 3 yr old decided three weeks ago no more naps. You can fight with them as much as you want but it they are done having naps it will just always be a fight. I have quite time in my house. They have to go to there room and play quitely for an hour.
    Anonymous

• MY daughter also outgrew naps at that age and I thought that was too soon of an age. It was frustrating. But she just was/is not a napper. I like to rock my kids at that age. It gives them a calm new routine. Also, I would place my daughter in her bed and tell her to stay but she could play and read all that she wanted as long as she stayed put. She was pretty good about it. GL!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• If he's taking two or more, try scaling him back to just one in the mid afternoon, say right after lunch. Thats what I had to do with both my guys. Especially my younger one at that age, he had so much energy and needed a nap but just one good one. If your little guy is not wanting to nap at all, try just rocking with him in a rocking chair so he can at least get some rest and maybe he'll drift off and you can lay him down. (i've had to do that too. lol) Just do it at the same time every day and don't give up. He'll get back in a routine, be it just rest time or naps. Lots of luck
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 6:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• my dd stop taking naps at that age 2 is normal. he is not going to atke anap just cuz you want him too. push his bedtime up. i had to do that.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:11 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My oldest stops at 2.5 but she is a sleeper. My youngest stoped for a few days after we moved, but now has fallen back into her routine.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My oldest daughter stopped taking naps shortly after turning 2. By 2 1/2 I couldn't get her to take any naps no matter how tired she is. She's almost 10 now and the only time she will nap is if she is really sick (which is rare). That's how I know she isn't faking it. I've never seen her take a nap at any other time.
    When she was little I required her to do 1 hour of quiet time in her room. When she was 2 she had a 1yo brother and her sister was just a baby. They took naps at the same time so then she went to her room for quiet time and Mommy got her only break of the day, lol. She did quiet time every day until she was 3 1/2 or so and then I allowed her to stay up and watch TV with me...if she was quiet. If she wanted to play she had to go in her room because I needed that break.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Each of mine pretty much stopped napping by that age (the youngeste one is actually still napping about 2 or 3 times a week). It sucks not to have a nap time during the day, but at least a little quiet time looking at books or something will give you a bit of a break.
    Anonymous

• I did "rest time" when my oldest quit naps. It was his choice, he either laid down on the couch with teddy bear and watched a slow movie for an hour (one with very little action) or he stayed in bed in his room for that hour. If he wasn't relatively quiet and actively resting during the movie then it was automatic rest time in his room though. Worked great for mine.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 10:06 AM on Jan. 23, 2010