Quick question...

Since they are obviously moving forward with the civilian trials for the 9/11 conspirators... Has NO ONE put into consideration they did the exact same thing with one of the 1998 U.S. Embassy bombers? Wonder how that has turned out?

Mamdouh Mahmud Salim
On 20 December 1998 he was extradited to the United States, where he is charged with participating in the 1998 United States embassy bombings.

Since then he has been convicted of attempted murder, after stabbing two prison guards and maceing others during an attempted escape. He was sentenced to 32 years for the crimes.

Still support the civil trials and housing them in US prisons?

Crissy1213

Asked by Crissy1213 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the whole "dog and pony" show is not only ridiculous but in affording them rights reserved for AMERICANS is wrong!

Obama has stated that the civilian terror trials in New York are going to result in guilty verdicts. If they are going to be tried in civilian court, then shouldn't they technically be considered "innocent until proven guilty?!"

Since Obama (and Holder by extension) are PROMISING that the terrorists will be handed guilty verdicts, doesn't this violate their rights, and won't THIS be the "loophole" that sends them free?! Won't their team of lawyers argue that they were not given a fair trial and walk?!

Do they really think they'll look "tough" on the war on terror by going through the motions?! I think they'll end up looking incredibly weak (and America by extension)!

Everything else Obama and his administration have attempted to do in the past year has backfired, I have no doubt this will too!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:12 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I cannot understand it myself..always said keep them at Gitmo and any trials..military
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Never did never will.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Not so much...no.
    Anonymous

• Totally unconstitutional.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:32 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• lol- My favorite part of the whole thing, the DA said- when asked what if they are acquitted, not to worry because they had SO much to hold them on, it won't be a concern. What a fine example of the fair American Justice system.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:45 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Ridiculous. All acts of terror against the United States should be prosecuted in a military trial.

You guys know that one of the 5 to be tried in NY has had most of the evidence against him thrown out. It remains questionable if there is enough evidence to try him at all.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Since Eric Holder's former law firm is/was the defender of, they say, up to 17 or 18 of the gitmo terrorists, seems to me that there is a HUGE conflict of interest here but then with this admin. there are many who have some kind of issue. And since they all are "the avant garde", well, you know, it's all good, no worries, (for anyone in their club, anyway). Hopefully, now that they no longer have that coveted 60th vote, their radical trend can no longer continue... I am not at all confident that the 9/11 terrorists will receive justice, my fear is that they will somehow be let off the hook, for some technicality that's absurd and that will enrage lots of folks!

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:38 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• The criminal element has more rights than the victims. We are so afraid of violating their "civil rights" even though the criminal didn't give one thought to violating the civil rights of their victims. This is what is truly "bass ackwards" in our country.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:18 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Shhhhhhh. They don't want anyone to think about that. You know, out of sight out of mind. Just don't mention it and most people don't even know.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2010