Anyone have any tips on help my son learn to read?

My son is in kindergarten and he is very bright. (well, i think so anyways. lol)
He just turned 5 this November so he is the youngest in his class. He is learning how to read and i'd really like to knuckle down and help him so that he might be closer to the same level some of his friends are.

Any suggestions, tips, games, etc. that you recommend to assist in his reading skills?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 7:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Be patient. You cannot make him a reader. His brain has to grow into it. But you are doing good things already to foster that growth. Continue reading to him. And let him catch you reading and enjoying reading.

I turned on the closed captioning on the DVDs for my kids when they were beginning readers. They could see the words and hear the speech patterns. I think it helped with their oral reading.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:35 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Reading is one of the most critical skills taught at school. It is virtually impossible for a person to live a productive life in our society without being functionally literate. Children with reading difficulties will undoubtedly have trouble mastering nearly all school subjects even if they are motivated to study. Conversely, children who learn to read in the early grades acquire one of the most basic skills needed to continue their education and be fully-functional as adults. In many schools students are expected to be able to read simple material by the end of the second grade. One of the most important goals in teaching young students to read is making sure they are completely proficient with Sight Words. Sight Words (sometimes called the Dolch Word List) are some of the most frequently used words in the English language.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 7:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• continued:
    Sight Words comprise approximately 50 to 70 percent of any given general, non-technical text. Therefore, teaching Sight Words as early as possible is considered a crucial part of elementary education.
    http://www.quiz-tree.com/Sight-Words_main.html#intro
    Try going to the library and getting books that are for beginners. Make sure they are early beginners. Read together with your son. At night read him a book or two and maybe one together and he will be come a great reader.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 7:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• We read almost every night. I let my boys pick the books and when the book is easy he either reads it or sometimes we take turns reading it.
    and i just made flash cards today of some of the sight words. ...so i guess i'm on track.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Try starfall.com It is a fun literacy site.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Just keep reading to him, pick out books that interest him..even if it is captain underpants. Children's brains aren't wired to master reading until they are about 7. People put too much interest in getting their children to read early when if you keep him interested in it he will eventually get it. Did you like doing flash cards when you were 5? I didn't. I use the flashcards with sight words to play games like memory(find two that start with the same letter) or make up your own. I let the 6 year old pick up two sight words and try to make up a sentence that has them both in it. Make an easy book with paper and staple it together and encourage him to write a journal (reading and writing definately go together.) Don't worry about him though, he is just starting to learn and he will get it soon.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 7:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I know how to make flashcards interesting.
    and i also know that children are not wired to learn until they can cross the mid-line which usually happens around age 7.
    But i also know that if he does not learn how to read he will not be allowed into 1st grade.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I would say the same thing as the other moms use flash cards, use sound books it just takes time but don't worry he'll get it and before u know it you'll have a little reader at home
    mariloz

Answer by mariloz at 8:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• We labeled everything in the house (door, window, stove,etc.) Bob books are really great. Have family reading time every night.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:38 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• OH YEA! i forgot about labeling everything. I did that for myself when i was learning spanish. ...hmm. i don't really feel like labeling the whole house though. ...maybe i'll just do his bedroom.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:10 PM on Jan. 23, 2010