How is propping different from you holding one?

If you hold a bottle it is basically the same as one being propped right? I breastfeed so idk, but why is propping considered "so dangerous." Looking for a serious and honest answer not trying to make anybody angry.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Propping is different than the adult holding the bottle because usually if the parent is propping the bottle they are not holding the baby so they have to get to the baby from wherever they are if he/she starts to choke. Also not a safety issue, but (breast or bottle) holding a baby while feeding is bonding time, propping doesn't have the attachment benefits.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• It puts the baby at risk for choking. Most moms don't prop and stay right there. They continue on and clean,cook, talk on the phone etc. all while NOT watching the baby.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I have never propped a bottle even once for my baby. To me it is pure laziness. Not to mention a choking hazard. Your baby can easily choke on a non stop flow of liquid. How long can you drink before taking a breath?
    Anonymous

• Well...I think one reason is that the milk can leak out and go into babies ears and cause pain and infection. Another reason is if its propped and your not paying attention or watching the baby the nipple could tear and and milk come flooding into the babies mouth and nose making it impossible to breath. Another reason is the lack of bonding. idk...jmo.
    Anonymous

• First of all , since breastfeeding is the natural right thing to do, if you've got to use bottles, then you should try to mimick breastfeeding as MUCH as possible by holding that baby close during the feed. Secondly, it is wholly possible for the baby to choke; the nippled could come out or for a young baby he or she could slip off of whatever is propping up their head. (I assume that if someone's negligent enough to prop a bottle then they would hopefully have enough sense to make sure the baby;s not laying flat - a bad idea , too) and a number of bad things could happen from that.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 12:58 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Yah and I had twins who were bottle fed and I NEVER propped their bottles. Not even in the middle of the night when I was dead tired. Nope. I still held them close
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 1:00 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Feeding the baby near the breast helps eye development. The mother should be the one to feed the baby and switch sides so the baby gazes at her from both ways. There may be some of the hormonal advantages since the mother and baby would smell each other's pheromones. The baby is in the proper developmental position to avoid the flat spot on the back of the head.

There is something called container syndrome that babies may be experiencing. Babies spend long hours in infant seats, car seats, swings, bouncers, ect. rather than human arms and it affects their development. We aren't sure yet the long term affect this has along with artificial feeding. Not holding babies while feeding is the ultimate in artificial feeding.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 7:14 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I thought it was just about using feeding as an opportunity to bond and cuddle.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:55 AM on Jan. 23, 2010