Having a baby

Ok my husband and i want to give our 3 yr old daughter a brother or sister but i hurt my back in 2007 and i have been on pain med. Im scard that when wedo get pregant i dont think i will be able to handly my pain. And i know u cant take meds when u are trying to have a baby. Im still taking them but what would happen if im still taking them and got pragent at that time will the baby get the pain meds too. I never want to hurt my baby when i get pregant.
Should i just stop now or should i stop when i get pregant. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me.
I DONT WANT TO HURT MY UN BORN CHILD

samantha06

Asked by samantha06 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you can try the chiroprator
    Anonymous

• Vicodin and pain meds on a short term basis are fine. CALM DOWN. Long term is what you need to be worried about. I'd work on getting off of them.
    Anonymous

• I would talk to a doctor about this. I wouldn't think anything would hurt the baby early on in pregnancy, but why chance it? I would work on getting off of it, and finding another way to manage your pain. If you have to do it soon anyway why wait?
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 7:37 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• the longer you take any med the more of it gets built up in your system, flushing & detoxing all these chemicals out aren't a bad idea before you get prego. You can't be on pain meds forever so you're gonna have to figure out other ways to deal w/ the pain eventually anyway. Have you tried yoga or pilates?
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I would say that taking pain medication for more than 2 weeks is a recipe for disaster. A few Ibuprofen now and then--fine. But as others have said, pain meds are dangerous for you. Certainly you don't want to get pregnant if you are not able to stop taking the meds. ANd,yes, Yoga is great .See your Doctor and good luck!
    Anonymous

• i am not sure what kind of back issues you are having, but a chiropractor can help with sooo much, and without the drugs! i am married to a chiropractor, and i must say that we see wonderful changes in peoples lives all the time. you do not have to live in pain, and you do not have to live on pain killers either.
    good luck to you , and i hope you find the answer you need!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• i would talk to your care provider about that. they should have the best knowledge on the effects of your meds.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2010