What after school activities do your kids participate in?

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 7:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 5 y/o is in ballet and Girl scouts
    My 9 y/o is in scouts and also does track and field but not every year ( he has also done baseball and soccer, sports just are not his thing)

My 12 y/o has been in soccer and baseball since age 5 and he also did scouts for awhile.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 7:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My 8 daughter and 9 year old son both play basketball in the spring and fall, and my 9 year old son does Odyssey of the Mind, which is an afterschool program for AG kids

Answer by missanc at 8:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Daughters:
    13 year old- hip hop,gymnastics,softball,drama class
    11 year old-hip hop,basketball,softball, drama class
    7 year old-gymnastics,softball,drama class, music class, art

Sons:
    9 year old- basketball,baseball
    4 year old- art,music,karate, tee ball this spring
    eliza738

Answer by eliza738 at 8:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My five yr old daughter will be returning to dance classes. We had a financial fall out here with our home last year and I had to pull her out. :( She was so excited when she found out she can go back to dance class.

Our twins will be signing up for baseball, they are six. They received a flyer at school for sign ups. Both of them were in tae kwon do before and we had to pull them out for the same reason as my daughter. I'm just happy they can finally have something constructive other than bouncing off the walls at home(not that that's really constructive LOL) to do with their time and meet new friends too. :) I miss having recitals and classes to attend with my kids anyway. this will be fun.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 8:35 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• daughter 12 does competitive cheerleading, volleyball
    daughter 14 does band (flute), coaches 5yr olds in cheerleading
    son 8 aspergers hates all after school stuff so we just try playdates or libary time
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My son has Karate on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Guitar lessons on Saturdays and in the Fall has football Monday's and Wednesday's. He loves to be busy and thankfully practice is immediately after school so it doesn't affect dinner time.
    Anonymous

• This winter the only after school thing we have is Daisy Scouts for my 7yo which is every other Tuesday directly after school.
    In the spring they will do other stuff at our park district. We decided not to do winter term this year because we always miss half the classes because of the weather (no one wants to walk when the windchill is -10F) or one of us is sick.
    In the fall my 8yo son did floor hockey, my 7yo daughter did scouts and gymnastics and my 3yo daughter did her own gymnastics class. My 9yo does not like sports so she wasn't signed up for anything and didn't want to do scouts this year (last year she did her final year of Brownies). She is in the band, though but that meets during the school day (she plays the clarinet).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• cara124 son 8 aspergers hates all after school stuff so we just try playdates or libary time

My 12 y/o also has Aspergers, It is rare for them to like team sports but my son loves soccer and has done well in it for 7 years. Have you tried art programs or music? My son likes both of those also because he can work on his own with help when needed and it gives him the chance to work with patterns and freely work on art projects. He told me it is calming, he especially loves the sheet music because of the patterns.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:15 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• My son is 6 in Kindergarten
    Mon after school is karate. This is 2 seson of this.
    Tues & Sat is soccer his 2 year of this ( loves it)
    and in spring we are trying baseball for the 1st time. Should start right when soccer is finished and karate is about done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• My 6yo daughter does competitive cheer and school basketball
    2nd grade son rotates through soccer, basketball, and football. He also wants to start cooking and guitar lessons.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 9:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2010