Do you believe you should always keep a bond with the father of your kid?

I've been divorced from my sons dad for 6 years and close friends and family keep telling me how important it is I still be somewhat involved in my xh life. Should I listen to them, or just move on in my life and not worry about what he's doing in his?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• That depends on if he has visitation, if he does then you should know a bit about what XH is doing, if he doesn't have visitation why worry about what he is up to?
    Anonymous

• I agree only if he has to be around your child.
    officerdouglas

Answer by officerdouglas at 7:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• From op: My mom believes that since we shared such a strong bond when we were married, it would not look right for our son for us to not be somewhat involved on a close friendship level, but I'm not thrilled about that aspect and think having a close friendship with my ex-h would cause too many complications when I start to date again.
    Anonymous

• If you don't separate your life from his then why split up in the first place? Sure you can get along for your child but that doesn't mean you have to be best friends.. It will definitely interfere with your personal life in the future...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:55 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• After all the screaming and stuff was over, my ex and I realized that even though we didn't make such a great married couple that we'd always been friends. Our kids are older, 20 & 24, but we still chat sometimes. We both realized that we should probably have never gotten married in the first place, but then we wouldn't have out kids. Even my DH said that if I'd have never married the ex that he wouldn't have the cool friend he has in my son.
    I'd say just go with your gut, that's usually the best way to go.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Move on

Answer by admckenzie at 8:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• The GOLDEN RULE !!!!!!!!
    IF YOUR MIND & HEART AGREE......
    IF NOT ......NO!!!!!!!!
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 10:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2010