What do you send in a care package to service men overseas?

I adopted a soldier and want to send him a care package. He is over in Iraq. I asked him what he likes and he told me anything I send him is fine. I don't know what to send! Could you please give me some ideas? Do you send care packages? What do you put in them?

Any help would be awesome, thank you

Ronica218

Asked by Ronica218 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• The only packages I've sent were for my ex when he was over there. I'd send him stuff that I knew he'd like but might not be able to get over there. His favorite motorcycle mag, gummy bears, canned pears, and anything our dd would put in the box he loved.
    I know it probably isn't much help if you're sending stuff to someone you don't really know, I hope it helps.
    I do want to send you a hug for doing this though, I'd heard from some of our guys that use to get stuff that it would just make their day. If for no other reason that someone actually cared enough to think of them.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Gum, deoderant, tissues, qtips, candy, a hair brush,a mirror, a good book. Anything for entertainment etc.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Phone cards are always welcome. Sweets are another thing, because they are not readily available there. Even if he doesn't like sweets he can trade them for things he does like. Beef jerkey is also popular. I would probably also include some thank you letters from kids... we did that in 10th grade, our whole class wrote a soldier. You could ask your kid's teacher if they would be willing to have the kids write a letter to a deployed soldier.

Home baked cookies, some canned goods, toiletries like deodorant, cologne, body wash, anything to make life a little more like home. I probalby wouldn't try to send razors though ;) Maybe an electric razor would be nice.

That's all I can think of for now. How do you go about doing this? I would like to show my appreciation for the troops :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My cousin was just deployed and another one just came home. I was told that BEEF Jerky, oreos, gum, and anything that can be microwaved are hot items!
    Also my cousin had asked for multiple card games and dice to help pass the time!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I have sent many, many care packages to deployed personnel. Husband, son, daughter in law, cousins. In Iraq the big ones they all requested over and over...baby wipes, ziploc bags, PRINGLES..lol, canned fruit, and the flavored Sunflower seeds. I uesd to send my husband the comics from the Sunday papers. Homemade cookies ship well. After they cool place them in ziploc bags. I always packed packages with popped seasoned popcorn. Sounds weird...they eat it and they love it. Although my DH used to trade the popcorn to the young guys for the fruit..lol
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My husband liked anything he could carry on his flak. I sent lots of fruit snacks & anything that came in mini-packages. His unit wanted weird things like coffee filters & mouse traps so we sent those too. I sent a mini pillow he loved. Don't send anything liquid unless you put it in a ziplock baggy. It's smart to pick up the customs form before you package the box so you can fill it out as you go. Not that I condone tobacco use, but American cigarettes & dip are much better than the stuff they can buy at the PX there---not a single guy with my husband was tobacco free. They also wanted lots of No-Doze & Red Bull. Really not the healthiest stuff to send but it's in high demand. Ask him if he wants it.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Thank you all for you answers, they helped alot!!
    Ronica218

Answer by Ronica218 at 10:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I have put, gum, certs, any comfort food.
    beef jerky, some maginzines
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 10:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• We've sent multiple packages to multiple soldiers. 1 was my brother, the rest were friends/church members. For my bro, we knew he had a microwave, coffee maker, can opener, etc - I sent him a big bowl/mug to heat foot in, easy mac, spaghettios, tuna (for his mac & cheese), canned fruit, homemade cookies that we vacuum packed, toiletries, really mostly food, but not much candy (he's not a candy eater). For the rest, we'd send mainly big bags of various kinds of candy (no chocolate though because it melted most of the time) and toiletries (baby wipes, toothbrushes, toothpaste, deoderant, etc). Socks, I think we sent my brother underwear (his request), gloves, I know a group who requested silly string (helped detect lasers when they were searching), puzzle books/pens/pencils, we sent crayons & coloring books, comic books, magazines, DVDs to my bro (had his laptop), letters, cards, chapstick, really all kinds of stuff.
    Anonymous

• Anything that you send him that can melt needs to be put in a separate ziploc bag and please don't try to send chocolate or other such things. But food is a good idea.
    things for entertainment. hand held games, cards, small board games. etc.
    oh yea. someone mentioned baby wipes. that's a good thing to send as everything is dirty over there. I really like the phone card idea.
    toothbrushes and other things such as that.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:12 AM on Jan. 23, 2010