Fever question?

What do you moms consider a low grade and a high fever? At what temp. do you keep your kids home from school?

My 13 year old daughter has been having low grade (to me) fevers, around 99-101 degrees. I sent her to school today when she had a temp. of 100.4 in the morning (she had already missed 2.5 days) and gave her some motrin. The school nurse called around 12:30 and I had to pick her up. Her temp. was 100.1 . She was fine an hour after that and I think she could have stayed in school.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Most schools will say anything over 100 to keep them home. My dd was sent home yesterday due to a temp of 99.9, but she was sick with an ear infection.

Now as a former nurse - I consider anything under 100 I do not to medicate (low grade temp), but anything over 100 is medicated with Tylenol or Motrin. I consider anything over 102 a high grade temp.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 8:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Those are low grade. Barely even fevers.

Is she acting sick ? If she is feeling tired and run down with a low grade fever then she should stay home because she obviously is fighting off a virus.

Today you said she could have stayed in school, but why did she go to the nurse in the first place ? Was she feeling sick or hot ? If she sought out the nurse because she felt "off' then she should have stayed home in the first place.

Now if she says she feels fine and looks fine and is acting fine, but is getting mild low grade fevers I would give it a few more days to rule out any virus still and then after that make sure there is not something else going on. There are some illnesses ( besides run of the mill viruses) that cause chronic low grade fevers.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• My daughters pre-school lets them come as long as their fever is below 100.5 without medication. My son's school doesnt let them come if their temp is over 99.6. I think that is WAY too low to be considered a fever! I could bundle him up and have his temp go to 99.6 without him being sick at all!!

My daughter has fever seizures at 101 so I would never send her to school at 100.5 becuase I would be afraid of her fever spiking and her seizing. My son can handle fevers perfectly fine so for now, if he cant go to school when his fever is 99.6 I will send him to his sister's pre-school (They also do after-school care and have Jaydin in the afternoons) because they will take him to 100.4.

Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2010