Ugh, Why do dogs eat cat crap!

It's DISGUSTING! I can't keep my dog away from my cat's litter... He sneaks in the basement all the time.. I think it's time for a kitty door!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• OR you can make your own litter box!!!! This is what I had to do. My dog is smaller than the cats so a cat door wouldn't help lol. I got a rubbermaid tote about the same size as a litter box.....THEN I cut a cat sized hole on top and no more POOP eating LOL.
    It is nasty especially when they feel the need to prance around the house with it!
    You can also just buy one of these boxes:
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754439
    That's where I got the idea from and saved like 30 bucks!!
    bgcmommy

Answer by bgcmommy at 8:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Thanks!! Never would've thought about this! That's what my dog does, he acts like I am going to praise him for "good behavior"!! He keeps bringing the
    "treats" with him around the house and chewing on them.. GROSS!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• lol, I have that problem with my dog, but he eats his own poop. It's really gross and I can't get him to break the habit. I read that they can either still smell food in it and think it's food, they could be bored or not getting enough dog food. They also do it if they get a reaction out of you because it's fun to them. Good luck with that one!
    Anonymous

• Yes---our dogs have eaten their own poop and it is disgusting.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My dog loves the kitties poopy, we have to keep the litter box in the laundry room w a baby gate on the door, the cat can jump ober but the dog cant get to it! It's really gross, I think it is territorial.
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 9:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Your welcome :) I have 2 dogs and it's only my smaller one that does it! He drives me insane lol. This "type" of litter box has helped so much!! I have 4 cats so yeah there is lots of poopy!
    bgcmommy

Answer by bgcmommy at 11:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Thanks for the info Pnukey,

But my dog isn't eating his own poop, he's eating my cats poop! lol.. Pretty sure a lot of dogs do this!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• my dog does it and I HATE IT! We had to put up a baby gate to stop that and the eating of "bathroom trash" I also hate that my dog likes to eat maxi pads or tampon applicators. I just looked over and she is in there right now sniffing around. LOl someone left the gate open. My mom says that she read that a dog from a puppy mill will do it because they are so mistreated that they trained themselves to eat whatever they could get. I wish she had never told me that, i think it scarred me a little bit. I told her that I know that dogs that did not come from a puppy mill do it to. ITs sooooooo disgusting!!!
    Anonymous

• Ok I looked it up and I found this about the maxi pads, I am glad I have an answer.

My dog has never gotten into the trash and today when we were at work he got into the bathroom trash and ate used maxi pads.
    Submitted: 1116 days and 7 hours ago.
    +

Answer
    Dogs are designed by nature to like easy meals and to respond to decay odors etc. as an easy meal source so dogs love trash.
    As far as the pads are concerned its all organic material to the dog and thus smells like food.
    A concern would be intestinal blockage from eating the pads. I'd watch him for abdominal pain, vomiting, difficulty or lack of passing stool etc. and get him to a vet if he shows signs of having a problem.
    Only solution that is 100% for trash can excavation is making the trash totally out of his reach.
    To keep him entertained when you are not around you can try one of the treat dispensing

28yroldgranny

Answer by 28yroldgranny at 8:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2010