Low Amniotic Fluid

About 2 weeks ago my doctor told me that my amniotic fluid was low... there for I am on bedrest......... I am almost 34 weeks pregnant in 2 days. He told me I am on bedrest for only one more week then he will take me off because it is ok if the baby comes after that. I thought the baby had to go full term to be healthy? Did anyone experience this and did you have to go into early labor or be induced.... My first child and a little in the dark.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had low amnotic fluid with my daughter towards the end of my pregnancy. I think your doctor is hoping the amnotic fluid will replace itself while you are on bed rest. Since it was a week before my due date, they went ahead and induced me and she turned out to be fine. The fluid level dropped to a certain point, so they gave me a saline IV to keep the level up while I was in the hospital.

Low amniotic fluid can possibly cause their lungs to not fully develop.

Most doctors won't deliver babies until 37 weeks because that's when everything is fully developed. Before 37 weeks, you run risks of the baby not being fully developed.
    Anonymous

• I was 37 weeks pregnant..when they did an ultrasound to check the baby's position, they found out my fluid was low and I was sent to the hospital the same day to be induced...but for me it didn't work and i had a c-section, i didn't have any fluid left.

My son was born small with a little jaundice but otherwise healthy...he left the hospital with me 4 days later, he could have left sooner but because of the c-section i was there for 4 days.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Your baby may be showing signs of good development at this point so the doctor isn't worried. I would however ask to be given some steroids so that in case you do go into labor early the baby has a better chance of having healthier lungs.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• well my fluid was so low that they induced and delivered me at 35 weeks. my baby was healthy at 4 lbs 9 oz was breathing on her own eating well and got to come home when i did. they didnt even check to see if her lungs were developed i didnt get an amnio or anything...just induced 5 whole weeks early and she came out fine!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• oh yes a previous post made me remember she did have slight jaundice (yellow skin) but it went away on its own in a few days i just had to take her to get her blood drawn about 2 times after she came home.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I've had low fluid in 4 out of my 6 births. I was induced early for it twice. First time (2nd preg.) induced a month early, baby was very tiny (4 lbs 13 oz) but healthy otherwise. Other 2, went to term but both babies were only 6 lb 6 oz each time. Last one, induced a month early & she was 5 lb. 7 oz. She did stay in NICU for a week due to breathing/feeding problems. The only other effects were, one of my term babies, she had plagiocephaly (which basically means her head was severely flattened on one side from resting against my pubic bone w/out the benefit of being cushioned by the fluid) She had to wear a helmet for a year to fix that. My 2 other pregnancies (#1 and #4) were uneventful & had no problems at all w/ the fluid or anything else (both of them were 7 lb & 7 lb 1 oz respectively) Doc still has no idea why it has happened to me so often. Sometimes its associated w/ a disorder called "Potters" were baby has...
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 1:21 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• kidney problems. But that is not a cause in any of the times it happened to me.
    lisa89j

• i stopped feeling my son move @the beg. of 8 months and my doc. refused to give me an ultra sound and said it was normal two weeks later i went to a new doc. were they gave me an emergency ultra sound and my fluids were at a 3 and the said i had to induced! my son was right on time but i had breathing problems when i pused but oher than that i was fine and my son was wonderful!
    olan8809

Answer by olan8809 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2010