Do you think it is important to have a good relationship with your childs other family?

Whether you were divorced or never with your childs father, do you think that it is important to know these people that are the childs other family? Would you feel uncomfortable if you had never met them and your child was with them regularly? Would you want to know them before sending your child with them for the day and would you request that you at least get to meet them once?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• actually i want to meet the other family but the father never made it happen yet. he comes to visit and i have offered. she is 10months now and has never met the other family. his sisters came to the hospital but besides that it hasn;t happened. i think when it does happen i will feel more comfortable meeting at least the first time bcause she doesnt know them. and she is so young.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

•   I think its very important to know and get along with them. Like Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith.

jblueeyes228

Answer by jblueeyes228 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• yes I think its very important to get along with them. After all your sharing raising a child. I mean you don't have to be close enough that you want to go out and hang with them but I think you should tolerate one another that you can stand around discussing grades, sports, medical situations without it turning into a fight. Or calling on thephone to sicuss things.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I don't think it is a big deal----but then again my kids other families don't acknowledge them anyways---so I guess I don't now!!!
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 12:03 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• i try to get along with HIS family. His girlfriend and i r are becoming friendly or 90% of the time, its HIS mother i want to kill. She does free daycare for us and is threatening to call the cops when i dont send MY daughter to daycare cuz, oh idk, IM OFF THAT DAY!!! gah she is psycho.

But to answer ur question specificaly, YES i think it is very important to know those who are going to influence your children.
    bananaapplepie

Answer by bananaapplepie at 1:08 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Other family? Um, try just FAMILY. They are related.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• 12:30 AM on Jan. 23, 2010 by: Anonymous
    Other family? Um, try just FAMILY. They are related.

No, it is a separate familial unit.
    Myself, my husband, my SD, and our DD are a family. Sometimes SD goes to visit her other family- her mom, and various relatives on her side. We are not related to them, nor are they related to us. My DH would rather cut his huevos off than have to say that he is related to the psycho ex or her family.
    So no, it's not just one big happy family. Divorces, remarriages, blending families, custody agreements, child support, visitation fights, & all the crap & baggage that comes along with all of it do not magically make love & sunshine stream out of everyone's asses. Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but family is NOT forever (THANK GOD!!).

(We are having some "issues" with the ex... can ya tell?)
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 3:40 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Yes even though me and ex hubby is estranged I still take my children to see him aunt and cousins. I also send his brother pictures of the kids. Family is important.
    im23vaughn

Answer by im23vaughn at 4:11 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Dont be offended. Other was used because my sons mothers side (me) and fathers side are not joined by his father and mother being married. How else would you like it put. geesh.
    Anonymous