Ok last week DS aksed me....

if ADHD can get worse as you get older. At 7 or 8 yo he was tested and the pediatrician and psychiatrist said he was borderline ADHD, we could treat with meds or environmental changes, we chose NOT to medicate. We made changes in parenting, diet and more organization skills. Now I personally think he is just more busy and determined that he can multi-task when he should not be and so giving less attention to each task. We have also given up focus on the ADHD because it really hasn't been much of an issue. So my question is does anyone have any good resource/help sites for teens with ADHD?

goaliemom93

Asked by goaliemom93 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Wow...there's someone else on the planet that doesn't believe shoving a drug down your throat is the answer to all of life's problems?! I applaud you for your efforts to help your son...sorry, don't have experience in this area just wanted to give your some props for being a great parent~! :)
    Anonymous

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective. We recently discovered that magnesium supplements also help

Answer by rkoloms at 7:33 AM on Jan. 23, 2010