How can you help your teenager from staying off drugs???

auntsunshine

Asked by auntsunshine at 9:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Knowledge of what drugs can do to a person. Educate. I've been talking to my son about drugs since he was 8 years old.
    Anonymous

• Eat dinner together as a family every night.
    Have Saterday night be family game night.
    Make sure you meet all their friends, friends' parents and the phone numbers.
    Be active in the school and other youth group activities.

None of these things guarantee anything of course. But they will help.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Working in the ER and we have so many children coming in and it’s very sad. Most children first experiment with perception drugs (parents) - know what you have laying around. I think the best tool we as parents have is to educate our children. I talk to my son about drugs and the effect of them. I also go onto youtube with him and show him different videos (faces of meth) that I have previewed in advance. It’s one thing from them to hear it from us and another to see it with their eyes and hear it from other adults and even kids around their age. Secondly, knowing your kids friends and lastly, know what’s going on in their lives and what’s in their room. We can only protect are children from so much but most can be prevented. If we don’t do it who will.
    bettalisten

Answer by bettalisten at 9:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Ditto to what outstanding said.. Being involved in your child's life is the best defense against drugs. Keep communication open. They will come into a situation at a party etc to have drugs or drinking and we as parents really can't stop that but we can prepare them. What to do in that situation, to always call if they ever feel they are in an unsafe situation. Not talking about drugs, drinking and sex makes it taboo.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I partied alot as a teen and into my early twenties, my brother was hooked on crack for 7 yrs. I agree that education is key but I always thought that if my child did start using drugs I would take them to meet addicts and hear their stories first hand.
    Anonymous

• talk to them like you think they are intelligent. Let them know you expect them to do what they know is best for them. And eat meals together. It is quality time that keeps them off drugs. it worked for my mom with my sibs and I and it worked with my girlies
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 9:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Hehehe. Your question is funny. Gramatically what your question is asking "from staying off of drugs" means that you want them to stay ON drugs. LOL!
    Anonymous

• My parents did a great job with my sister and I. We ate dinner together all the time. My mom ALWAYS asked "who, what, when, where" when we were going out. She often volunteered to drive us to the mall or the theatre or wherever we wanted to go. She knew all my friends and they knew her. She never was a dorky mom who did "lame" things around my friends--she was my mom, not my friend. She kept up with our grades and our school work and allowed us to do any extra-curriculars we wanted. She got me involved in gymnastics VERY young and let me stay in as long as I wanted.
    Most important to me was the fact that I KNEW my parents expected great things from me. They would have been devastated if I had done drugs. They always told us we could be and do anything we wanted, but if we did drugs ALL our dreams would be dashed. They talked a lot to us about it. They helped us achieve those dreams, too. They were very involved.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 12:26 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• i have recorded many Intervention episodes that i plan to show as an outline of what could happen when u dabble in drugs! also being open and non judgemental may help your teen feel better about talking and telling u the truth. ie if he says his friend is on drugs, dont freak out or he wont want to open up about it again. also keep them occupied as they dont get bored its usually when teens r sitting around with nothing to do that they experiment. also know where they are when they leave and know what kind of ppl they leave with
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:37 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• nothing is a 100% guarantee, but i think it is always a good idea to introduce your child to recovering addicts that they can relate to in some way or at the very least have them watch documentaries on addiction
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 12:57 AM on Jan. 23, 2010