T-Tubes, Tonsils, and adenoids

My 3 yr old son needs new t tube put in and the doctor also wants to take out his Tonsils and Adenoids. I really think its a good idea and so does my husband because our son is so sick. But the doctor talked about bleeding and having to go to the ER and now im freaking out! They are going to do it in 2 weeks and im really scared. Any work of peace? Have your kids had this done? Is it safe how he is only 3? He has astma can that cause a problem? Please dont tell me talk to a doctor they just tell you its ok i need a mom that knows!

Lacrisha

Asked by Lacrisha at 9:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Cont'd...doesn't even remember it. My son will never forget it. If they have explained why they need to do it and it makes sense to you go for it. BTW..my GD has not had strep or brochitis once since hers were removed. She did have to have a second set of tubes..but they are now out and infection free over 1 yr. She also has to take 1/2 of the allergy meds she did before. Before the surgery my son was sick constantly. pneumonias twice a yr minimum. After the surgery he was not sick one time for the next 3 years. He is now 23 and only rarely gets sick, usually it is related more to his asthma that gets triggered from allergies and he lets it go too long.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:29 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Yes bleeding is a major concern after a T&A. It is a risk for up to 2 weeks after the removal.. Things to keep in mine to decrease your childs risk is nothing but soft foods for 2 weeks, nothing with sharp corners or that crumbles into sharp pieces. Nothing in the mouth like straws, oral thermometers. Signs that bleeding is occurring is frequent swallowing. Children also cant have anything brown red or orange in tint because these colors mask bleeding.

Pain is also an issue after the removal. A child doesn't always say that it hurts but if you see they are not eating, drinking or talking as much as they normally do; you can guess they are in pain and need their meds...

I have not had a child that had a T&A but I have cared for alot on the pediatric floor.. It is a common operation for children. Do you trust your Dr. If not get a second opinion. Ask specific questions, if they don't answer you....find a new Dr.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My neighbors daughter had all of the above done about 2-weeks ago and I would have never known, she is fine. That's the only experience I have with it though. Good luck~

HMHUTSON

Answer by HMHUTSON at 9:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Ran out of room... google the operation and read all you can, the more you know the better you will feel.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My granddaughter had exactly the same surgery 2 days after she turned 3. They kept her over night because she was so tiny for her age. Generally it's same day 4-6 hours in recovery and home. The first week is tough because they need to be well hydrated and they are reluctant to swallow. Swallowing actually helps the pain caused by spasm in the throat. Very soft foods milksahkes, yogurt, jello, pudding, pediasure were all she ate for almost 9 days. By day 12 she was feeling great and by day 14 begging for toast. My 14 yr old son however, was an entirely different matter. They did not take his tonsils and adnoids until he was 14. He lived on percocet for a week. He also had two bleeding episodes that required taking him back to ER/ENT to recauterize. He was miserable for a solid month. Every ENT I have dealt with... and I have dealt with many 3 of 4 children. Every one of them said it is harder the older they get. My GD...
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My husband SHOULD have had this done when he was a child. He never did and so he had to have his tonsils, and adnoids removed, his uvula carved back, and his deviated septum repaired all at once as an adult. The recovery is much longer and more painful as an adult. Kids bounce back faster. It took my husband two weeks before he could even eat soft foods like scrambled eggs!

You guys are doing the right thing. The doc is just warning you about possible complications so that you know what to look for. That won't absolutely happen. If you keep him drinking as much liquids as possible the chance for bleeding will be greatly reduced.

Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:43 AM on Jan. 23, 2010