T-Tubes, Tonsils, and adenoids

My 3 yr old son needs new t tube put in and the doctor also wants to take out his Tonsils and Adenoids. I really think its a good idea and so does my husband because our son is so sick. But the doctor talked about bleeding and having to go to the ER and now im freaking out! They are going to do it in 2 weeks and im really scared. Any work of peace? Have your kids had this done? Is it safe how he is only 3? He has astma can that cause a problem? Please dont tell me talk to a doctor they just tell you its ok i need a mom that knows!

Lacrisha

Asked by Lacrisha at 9:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have a nephew who got this done 4 years ago when he was 3. He was constantly sick and always had a drippy nose, allergies and asthma. After the procedure, he has done great and has seldomly been sick at all! His parents are thrilled they had it done when they did- before he started school. They too were a bit worried at first. He had it performed at UBMC and had no complications at all!

My husband also had to have this done at age 3 or 4 because his adnoids were severely infected and so huge that it was affecting his ability to hear. They said it would have been like having your head under water all the time-that's what he was hearing. After his procedure, he did really well and could hear great. No complications either and this was 22 years ago.
    hrt_0928

Answer by hrt_0928 at 10:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I was very nervous too. For us, it was tough, but there was no extra bleeding or having to go back to the hospital. We did have issues with the heavy meds given after surgery, our son couldn't take the Tylenol w/codene or one other med that they tried, so he had to be only on regular children's tylenol, so I supposed it was a little rougher for him. It did take like almost three weeks for him to recover enough to go back to preschool, but he did well.

For me, my son had been in pain for a year without doctors being able to figure out why he was hurting so badly to be screaming in pain day and night. The surgery did finally take care of the pain, but going in to it, they told us, it was all trial and error... no guarantees.

Take deep breaths, and have lots of popcicles, drinks, and ice cream! (((HUGS))) and hang in there!
    Miracle_pg

Answer by Miracle_pg at 12:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• My son only had tubes, but they have worked really well. He hasn't been sick for a year.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 2:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2010