20 month old keeps biting his twin brother over everything! What do I do to stop it? I've tried time out, I've tried to baby his brother when he gets biten and tell him biting hurts and it goes in one ear and out the other.

Taffy_Tafolla

Asked by Taffy_Tafolla at 10:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make him bite himself. Take his arm and out it in his mouth and tell him to "BITE YOURSELF". It has worked for my boys and they no longer bite.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:01 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• i would never make a child bite himself nor would i ever bite a child.

severe consequences is what is in order here. ...removal of a favorite toy. or perhaps ground him (yes ground your toddler) for half the day (like until nap time or bed time) to his bedroom.

My younger son has bitten my older son about 5 times in the last 2 years and he is always grounded to his room every time it happens.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• my nephew was constantly biting my dd to the point of bruising and blood. his mom did NOTHING about it, so I finally told her that I had instructed her to bite him back. the next time he bit her, he came running in the house screaming that my dd had bit him. no one could find a mark on him - his mom went out to have a talk with my dd, who was balling. he had left bite marks on her back - I told him that if he didnt like getting bit, he shouldnt bite others. he has never bit her since.
    may seem harsh, but it worked for us. the kid just needed a taste of his own medicine because in our case, the parents werent doing jack!
    needless to say, i agree with sleepingbeautee. i have even heard of parents biting the biting child to get it to stop - thats a little far for me, but those parents claim it worked for them.
    Anonymous

• SPANK HIM !
    Anonymous

• LET THAT ONE BITE THE OTHER it sounds bad but is immediately effective...or make him bite himself. you telling him it hurts doesnt register, if he sees for himself that it hurts or if he thinks he will get bitten back it he bites he wont want to try it again
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:32 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• "severe consequences is what is in order here. ...removal of a favorite toy. or perhaps ground him (yes ground your toddler) for half the day (like until nap time or bed time) to his bedroom."

Sorry, while I agree with this for older children,babies under the age of three do not understand consequences such as you are describing. Especially because he is under the age of two he will not understand the cause and effect of I bite my brother, I go to my room. Sorry he isn't mentally capable of that leap. He is mentally capable of understanding, if I bite myself it hurts.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:54 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• He does not understand time out. I've have tried that several times before in different situations and he doesn't get it. They are for the most part non-verbal. They say some things but not allot. He bit his brother twice on Saturday morning and made him bleed so I took his brother out and let him play while he stayed in his bed. He went back to sleep and iti didn't phase him because as soon as I introduced them back together he bit him again! so I spanked him and told him "No, No!" Adam, the one who had been getting bitten actually bit him back (on his own accord) when Noah tried again shortly after. I felt so bad because Noah started crying and came to me like "Mommy help me, he bit me and it hurt," and I said "that hurt didn't it" and he said yes and I said NO BITING! So far, he hasn't bitten yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    Taffy_Tafolla

Answer by Taffy_Tafolla at 10:57 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Noah bites mostly out of anger and I don't understand why. He will bite Adam for the same toy that he has but he always wants the one that his brother has even though his looks exactly the same! Then when he gets tired of the one he took he gets mad and wants the one he gave up. Like I said, same toy. Then, when I gave sippy cups, I had a green one and a blue and gave Adam, the one that gets bitten, the blue one and Noah the green one and Noah bite Adam for the blue sippy cup! I didn't think they were old enough to fight over colors of objects.
    Taffy_Tafolla

Answer by Taffy_Tafolla at 11:00 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My girls are the same age and I have the same situation. They will fight over the same exact toy or over different colors; it's more that they just want what the other has. The only thing that has seemed to work somewhat for us is in any situation where I think it could happen, I remind the biting one that her sister loves kisses. And I've tried to stop using the word "bite" at all because that seems to make it worse for some reason. We have tried the whole I'm going to ignore you thing and scolding, etc etc and that never worked.
    NicoleBews

Answer by NicoleBews at 2:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2010