child leash?

my bf thinks that it is so horbile that i want to use one on our son. what do you guys think?

frog643

Asked by frog643 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Children have language skills and can learn to follow directions.

Dogs have limited understanding of directions (15 word command vocab on average) and have no language skills. They need leashes.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I do not agree with every day use of leashes for children. As the PP said, they have language skills. They can learn to follow directions and stay close. They can learn not to talk to strangers and look for cars. etc.

I used a child leash only once. It was my first time ever at an international airport and i had a lot of luggage. ...I only used it that once. And he behaved so well that i didn't use it on our way back.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• My sister used one and I admit, I was mortified to be seen with her. She tried to hand it to me so I could "walk" her child and I refused. My kids either held my hand or were strapped in a stroller. I agree that leashes are for dogs not children.
    MokaMommy

Answer by MokaMommy at 10:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I think in some situations it is useful, but i think some parents use it so they don't have to be a parent... they think my kid is on a leash i don't have to watch them because they won't go anywhere.... but i know someone who has a 3 year old and two 1 1/2 year old twins and she uses it on the younger two because they haven't learned the rules of staying close yet.. and its harder to run after two-three kids... i've thought about getting one myself but thinking of how much i'd actually use it.. i wouldn't use it at all really
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 10:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I think you should do what you need to do to make sure your child is safe. Not all moms have a stroller to pop the child into. Someone could distract you just long enough to grab your child, or come up behind you, push you down and grab the baby. If you have a leash, you would still have a second line of defense. also if you have more than one child, you cannot count on instant obedience from an excited, distracted 2 year old. Any good dog obedience book will tell you that a dog is always a toddler, with the language skills of a 2-3 yr old, so it follows that a 2-3 year old has the same language skills as a well-trained dog, and that's all. Fortunately, human toddlers grow and mature past that stage, but while they are there, keep them safe, and if it takes a leash, use a leash.
    Anonymous

• They are NOT leashes, they are safety harnesses. I only used one with one of my children we learned later he had severe ADHD. His Safety harness saved him from grave injury or death at least twice. My child is/was a smart intelligent kid with above average language skills. He also had an impulse problem that he could not control. At 18 months old we were talking a walk. He always had to hold my hand harness or not. He saw a dime in the street and darted oput of my hand. He was 4 feet in the street before I could get to him. From that day on we used a harness until he was almost 5. Two other occaisions. Once in a parking lot and once again on a neighborhood walk he darted. Both times cars were coming and w/o the harness he would probably have been hit. You think your child could never dart out of your hand?..You're kidding yourself. OP- you do what you need to do. The harness does not mean you don't teach all the rules.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I had the same issue with my Dh. He hated the idea of having a "leash" for our son. So I told him when we are together and he can deal with the kids, we won't use it. But I am only one woman and only have so many hands. When I am trying to carry one child, hold the hand of another and get anything done, it just doesn't work. So, when we go out without him, I will use it. My son loves his "elmo belt" and refuses to take it off even once we get home. It's in no way being cruel or harsh, and it has saved his life as well... Also, it helps to teach him to walk WITH us, without having to always hold a hand, those poor little arms get tired after a while of holding hands... I would say, buy one, put it in your bag, only use it when you need to, but take it. If you BF is with you, let him be in charge of you son, but have it in case.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• If you have a child who tends to "run" when you are in busy places, ie.. malls, carnivals ect.. harnesses are a great thing. When DS was little he would bolt as soon as I let go of his hand NO MATTER WHAT so it was necessary for us.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• I USE IT ON MY KIDS ! I RATHER USE IT WHEN THE KIDS RUN AWAY AND GET HURT IN THE STORE OR SOME THING HEAVY FALLS ON HIM THATS IN THE STORE AND KILLS HIM ! I RATHER BE SAFE THEN SORRY ! ! IT HAS HAPPEN BEFOR A CHILD RUN AWAY FROM HIS MOM AND CLIMED ON SOME THING AND IT FALL ON HIM AND IT KILLED THE LITTLE BOY ! !
    Anonymous

• I have one but I have only used it twice. I have three kids, three and under. If I take them out during the week to the mall or wherever, my 2 yr old and 5 month old ride in the double stroller. My 3 yr old holds onto the side of the stroller. The harness is wrapped around the handles of the stroller. My 3 yr old knows if he doesn't listen, lets go of the stroller, runs off then he has to put it on. It has only happened once. He realized I was serious. Now it is basically on the stroller so he can see it as a reminder. The other time I used it was before the baby was born. I went out with the the two on black friday to get one thing at the mall. With all the people I didn't want to use the big double stroller, so I used a single and the harness. There was just so many people, I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    Anonymous