Follow up to the housewife discrimination question...

I just saw one answer where a woman said she just divorced her husband and was able to use her alimony and child support to prove income to get a car loan. I think it just goes to show, even more, that housewives are discriminated againts because as one, I couldn't use my husband's income as my income but if I were to divorce him and get it on paper that he has to support me because my job is to raise our son then I would have been able to? I hope this helps thise who didn't understand my point of view. A housewife should be able to use her husbands income as her income (atleast half) because she is raising a child that is equally theirs, taking care of finances, the house etc. Perhaps there should be some sort of paperwork that you fill out with the IRS or something that both partners sign stating this in order to protect housewives or househusband's rights.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• Honey, it's simply a thing of the past. If you remember right, women fought to abolish the very thing all you SAHM are trying to do. It's over.... You need to have YOUR OWN job. You simply cannot retire or support yourself if something were to happen to your SO any longer. If you don't have a job of your own, you will receive no retirement benefits... It's going to suck for you, especially if you get divorced or you lose your husband. You will have no job experience, no benefits.. NOTTA. I think the whole SAHM thing is a lazy route for women to take. HEY WE RAISED OUR KIDS AND WORKED FT. Kids are just fine... we have money AND WE NEEDED NO PA TO HELP US OUT!

Go, get out there and work... Kids or not, it's your civic responsibility. If you're not working, you are no use to society. PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!
    Anonymous

• I was talking to someone the other day about something similar to this. She was telling me that she is trying to buy a home as her and her daughter live here and her husband lives in another state. The relationship is fine just for the record there just are circumstances that prevent them from being together at the moment...mainly the economy. Anyway, she cannot use her husband's income to determine eligibility for the loan, yet in the same breath they are taking into account his bills and hers. What is the sense in that? How is that fair?

It seems like the whole system is just screwed up.

What's even more amazing is that as a stay at home wife if you divorce your husband, you are held accountable in court for the responsibility of credit card bills, car payments, mortgage if you were married at the time they were purchased.*unless a judge says otherwise* but for the most part they come after you.(or dads either way)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 11:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• anon :11

All I have to say is WOW! and not a good wow...
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:29 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Anon 11 you are so OFF on what is really going on with SAHM's, not all of us are on PA and many of us worked before children and have our own retirement funds. Many of us also have life insurance in case something were to happen to our husbands. Also you may not be aware of this but homemakers actually receive social security at retirement age based on their husbands earnings, it is less than they would have gotten if they had worked but still it is retirement income. Oh and if one spouse dies they can receive a monthly death benefit from Social security to help support their children till age 18 and when the surviving spouse turns retirement age they can also collect if they have not remarried. Oh wait lets not forget that we also get our husbands retirement funds if they were to die as well. Just saying that some of us planned on staying home and prepared and we also got facts about how things really work.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:58 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• There is nothing "lazy" about being a SAHM, I have been a working mom also and guess what you are not superior to SAHM's just because you work. Not all women HAVE to work, we don't all feel that a job defines us. I loved working and with good planning I was able to stay home eventually and be the kind of mom i wanted to be. I am glad you enjoy working, I enjoy staying home :)

OP I get what you are saying and yes it can be frustrating, Honestly though I have only once found myself in a situation where i only used my income and that was when i bought my van, i was working at the time so I didn't have to have my Dh on the loan with me. Everything else is in both our names his truck ,our house, etc.
    3_ring_circus_

• Honey, it's simply a thing of the past. If you remember right, women fought to abolish the very thing all you SAHM are trying to do

NO they fought for the womans right to CHOSE. The womans right of freedom.
    Women like you saying what everyone is aloud to do or should do is what they fought against.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:34 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• WE NEEDED NO PA TO HELP US OUT!

Screw you, I need no PA to help us. Stop beign a bitter old bitty
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Whine whine whine I agree with Anon 11
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Grouping all SAHMs as lazy is unfair and unjust. There are many reason women stay at home, instead of work. For that matter I know several SAHDs as well. Among my friends and family the big issue is cost of day care. If I didn't have a great awsome woman my kids call Grandma. I couldn't work at all. Daycare cost here are 215 plus a week per child. Thats half my paycheck. Times that By four. What would I be working for. I have a very close freind who stuggles to pay her bills each month and is On state assitence. But to call her lazy. She is raising a speacil needs child. who has seizurse and tantrums. He has appointments and therapy. If he has a seizure at school she has to drop what she is doing and go. She doesn't sit on her butt all day watching soaps. She is taking care of her home and her family and her parents.

MOTHERBEAR6

Answer by MOTHERBEAR6 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• As for the credit card issues. My husband had a few cards and had my name put on them. Because I never signed for them The companies had no problem taking them out of my name and off my credit report. Except one. and after I told them my next call was to my lawyer they had no problems removing my name off of them.
    MOTHERBEAR6

Answer by MOTHERBEAR6 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 23, 2010