How do you let a baby "air dry" if they're not potty trained?

My 13 month old has a diaper rash from hell. I'm doing my absolute best to treat it so far, but everyone says letting her go diaperless for awhile will help. She nearly always ends up peeing whenever her diaper is left off for more than a minute or two. How am I supposed to let her air dry if she'll be peeing all the over the place? : /

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 11:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would put a couple of towels down in her crib and let her hang out in there for a while. If she pees the towels will soak it up.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• lol! make her a loose cloth diaper out of an old rag or towel. it will better keep her bottom ventilated and help keep you floor from being AS wet lol!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• follow her with a towel? :)
    Anonymous

• Can you gate off the kitchen or somewhere with a tile floor and keep her in there with some waterproof toys? Either that or a really loose cloth diaper/towel.
    Anonymous

• LOL anon :34 that made me giggle.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:10 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• let her play in the bath for a while, then when it is drained...play some fun games in the tub!
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 1:28 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• air drying is good, but the absolute best thing I have ever used for a diaper rash is a recipe my PED gave me. It is 1 tube neosporin, 1 tube lotrimin AF, 1 tube 1% hydrocortisone cream. Mix together, apply, and then cover with a thick coat of Desitin or balmex.

Air drying is good but as long as you keep her dry that will go a long way.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:35 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• put her down on a large comforter or towel and set up toys that she won't want to leave, or if she has a fave t.v. character and t.v. is a special treat, put on the t.v. show she likes and see if she'll sit long enough to watch it. just about 30 mins every few hours should be good enough for her to walk around air drying. with my daughter, i'd put her on an old quilt, put elmo on tv, and give her a few of her fave toys, and she'd sit for about 15 mins, than she'd run around the house naked, and yes i usually had to clean up a mess but its not that bad to clean it up.
    i love budreauxs butt paste as well, it doesn't stick horribly so you can just wipe it off but it covers very well and keeps the barrier up when wearing a diaper.
    jessil83

Answer by jessil83 at 2:47 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Glad I was good for a giggle :)
    Have you tried Destine? I have loved that better than prescription stuff. I really lather it on, works like a charm.
    Also, is there a chance its a yeast infection? My niece was always getting those. (If so you can mix vagisil (sp) with neosporn (sp) 50:50)
    Another great trick I learned is to put some baking soda in the bath water (no soap,) it changes the PH Balance of the water and is VERY soothing. (Besides working on all my kids' rashes, I did it once when I had full body hives.) Have her stay in it for 30 mins.
    _Kitty_kat_

Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 3:09 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• my son does the same thing, every night before bathtime he gets naked time lol. he would always pee, luckly we have hardwood floors. we got him a potty and sit him on it after his diaper comes off and he pees in it! i actually just asked a question about if it would be a good time to start potty training. but you could try that, at least the pee would be going someplace its supposed to, and hey it might start a trend :) GL.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 8:46 AM on Jan. 23, 2010