Would you paint your dining room walls Black Cherry?

I am getting ready to paint my dining room. I want to do the walls Black Cherry with a white chair rail, with the trim in the room black. My dining room is 12'x12' with a 10' ceiling, it is open to my kitchen which is black and white.
What do you think of this idea?
Do you think it will make the room too dark?
Should I maybe only do part of the wall in the black cherry and the rest of the wall a different color?

Mom2torandis

Asked by Mom2torandis at 11:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I say go for it, it is only paint and if you dont like it you can always re paint.
    mepperly07

Answer by mepperly07 at 12:02 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I painted my kitchen/front room a dark red. I only painted one wall and then did the others white so it wouldnt be too dark and it looks really good. You could always do that and see how you like it.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 12:03 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Sounds great! I love the dark cherry color
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 12:19 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I would only do one, maybe two (parallel) walls in that dark of color in that size room. When you go too dark in a small room it will make it look even smaller!! But by just doing one or two walls, you will get the same effect you're looking for without reducing your room size.

GL!
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 12:26 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• That sounds really cool~!~ But lighting is EVERYTHING...get some nice light fixtures that give warmth to the room and set the ambience.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:30 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• No to the black trim for sure. I have no problem with the dark color but I hope you have a window to let in some light
    or you will feel like you are in a cave.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I helped paint my friends dining room dark red. We went with a white primer and did a test spot and it was almost a dark pink. We then used a dark primer and it came out a beautiful deep red. Ask your local home depot or lowes for tips with primers to get a true deep cherry red.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Oh and get some interesting light fixtures and /or sconces to help with lighting.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• That is a great color but with a room of 12 x 12 it will look smaller eve though you have high ceilings. I would consider doing two walls or partial in that color. You can bring in accessories to match if you choose to only do half walls. Make sure to use a dark primer so it will turn out exactly how you want it. Good Luck and let us know what you decided to do.
    Berri64

Answer by Berri64 at 6:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Are you going for a goth look for what?

I would onyl do it if you have a very formal feel going on.. and lots of windows.
    Anonymous