Switched Formula...

I have a 4 month old premature daughter who wasn't supposed to be born until December. She was in the NICU for 2 months. She's been on 22 Calorie Enfamil Formula for Prematurity & Low Birth Weight. We moved to a small town in WV and no where around has that formula. So I figured now that she's older and she's actually supposed to be born now, that it would be ok to switch her to regular formula, but now she doesn't seem satisfied. They told me in the Nicu that there was a way to mix the regular formula to make it 22 calorie but I don't know how to do it. Does anyone know? If not, any other suggestions? I can't put her back on the 22 cal formula unless I drive out of state to stock up on it, and I just can't afford that. I don't have WIC or anything.

AmandaRyan

Asked by AmandaRyan at 12:00 AM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• found this for you
    "Formula-Fed Full-Term Babies
    To prepare a 22-calorie/ounce formula:
    If you are using concentrated liquid formula, mix 5.5 ounces (163 mL) of formula with every 4.5 ounces (133 mL) of water.
    If you are using powder formula, mix 3 scoops of powder with every 5.5 ounces (163 mL) of water.
    To prepare a 24-calorie/ounce formula: If you are using concentrated liquid formula, mix 3 ounces (89 mL) of formula for every 2 ounces (59 mL) of water.
    If you are using powder formula, mix 3 scoops of powder with every 5 ounces (148 mL) of water.

Formula-Fed Premature Babies
    If your baby was born prematurely, your provider may recommend using a special premature follow-up formula. You can buy these special follow-up formulas at the store. Examples include NeoSure Advance Premature Infant Formula and Enfacare Lipil Formula.

To prepare a 22-calorie/ounce formula:
    Mix 2 scoops of premature follow-u
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:13 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• another idea, would be purchasing online if you can find it through walmart, target or a grocery store that ships.
    jessil83

Answer by jessil83 at 2:13 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Thank you so much. Now, does anybody know how to figure that up or what I should do if I'm using powder formula and she only eats 4 ounces??
    AmandaRyan

Answer by AmandaRyan at 2:14 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• my son was not gaining enough weight fast enough so they wanted me to concentrate his formula more, they had me mix 5.5 oz of water with 3 scoops and make 6 oz bottles, if my son was only eating 4 oz i mixed up 2 six oz bottles and split that into three 4 oz bottles, and i refrigerated the other two bottles for later use, i did this for quite sometime, i'd mix only about a days worth of formula though. it was a simpler process when he was drinking only 3 oz at a time but you get the point.
    calvinsmommy18

Answer by calvinsmommy18 at 2:31 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• 2 ounce mix every 1 ounce water is the simple conversion
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:29 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• for powder do two scoops formula for 4 ounces
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:30 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• sorry check that do two and half scoops for 4 ounces, it is a 3/5 conversion.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:33 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• You have a special needs baby and you should be taking special care to make sure the baby has the right formula since you aren't breastfeeding. If that means driving to another state, then drive to another state. Don't try to make something up yourself. The most important thing that happens during the first year is brain growth. The baby is already at disadvantages because of being premature and not being breastfed. If the baby has to have formula then the baby should have the best formula.

You could relactate and your milk would be perfect and free. If you had breastfeeding problems in the past you may not have problems now that the baby is more mature. You could get milk from a human milk bank. You could try to get breastmilk from the website MilkShare since you have a special needs baby.

www.kelllymom.com is a great breastfeeding website that would have info on relactating.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 6:54 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Don't listen to her she is a breastfeeding freak and she likes to make people feel like bad mothers. Do what you need to do, but get a new doctor soon because she should be able to go to normal formula soon. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• You do whats best for your baby and don't listen to people who try to tell you breastfeeding is best, if its not for you then its not. I would call your local health department and ask them about formula, you might even be able to see someone there and make sure you are giving her the right food. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Jan. 23, 2010