My son can't hear me. I think he reads my lips.

I noticed it about 2 weeks ago and it seems to be getting worse. He's always had a lisp. His dad had one at his age as well. But if he's not looking at me he can't understand what I'm saying. I didn't tell anyone about it, and then he stayed over a friends' house and his mom said "Do you know that if you stand behind him and talk, he can't hear you?" All I coul do was cry. He's my best little friend and I'm so worried about this. He's been fine all this time and now he can't hear me. He doesn't complain about ear pain and he's said that his ears don't hurt. But if I look at him and talk to him, he grabs my face and puts it near his ear and tells me to "say it again". I can't stop crying. He's such a great kid. What could have happened in a month that could've caused this?

Shyma

Asked by Shyma at 12:17 AM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Health

• I can't tell you what caused it but you need to get him in and seen as soon as possible. That has to be very tuff on him and you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Don't beat yourself up over this at all. Just take this as an opportunity to get him some help. Get in touch with your pediatrician and get a referral to a specialist so your little guy can be seen and treated. The sooner you get him tested the sooner you can come up with a plan to deal with this. You're a great mom, and I'm sure none of this is because of anything you did. We know you love your little guy, hearing loss can happen from fluid trapped near his eardrum, so maybe tubes in his ears or something will be the solution. Good luck and big hugs for you both!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• He is okay. (Even if he is losing his hearing)
    Take him to the Dr. It could be something they can reverse.
    If not, dont fret! Hearing loss is not the end of the world. Deaf people the world over function just fine.
    Shoot, think of all the things that are worse - imho, being blind, leukemia, other cancers, paralysis, etc.
    Just keep telling yourself it could be worse.........and take some deep breathes.
    Your little boy is still there and you can hug him anytime you want, take comfort in that.
    I really hope you find peace and can be strong - he seems to have already.
    _Kitty_kat_

Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 12:26 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• go to the doc asap
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 12:59 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Yes, get to the Doctor. If it is an infection any delay in treatment could make matters permanent. I signed with my youngest daughter since she was born. Simple things please, ty, all done, hungry, thirsty, yes, no etc. It helped us communicate before she could talk. Get a simple book at start with a few sign language words while the doctors are evaluating him. This way you can still be close to him, and he can understand you. God Bless.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 1:16 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I agree that you need to have him seen, but as hopeful story for you, we noticed our son couldn't seem to hear us on one side. We took him to the audiologist and it was just wax build up! He had so much wax in there he couldn't hear in his left ear. I took him to have it flushed and he's fine now. But don't leave it in your son. Even if it something as simple as a wax build up,it can also affect his speech, so for sure take to the Dr and go from there. Good luck.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:47 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Take him to the doctor to get checked out. It may be something that can be fixed or something that will fix itself in time. I had that same problem when I was little. I lost my hearing for a short period of time and no one knew why. I think it was for about 2-3 months, maybe a bit more (I barely remember as I was fairly young) and then it just came back. They never did figure out what was wrong and it has never happened again. I can hear perfectly fine today.
    I hope everything works out well for you and your son!
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 8:35 AM on Jan. 23, 2010