bottle of brestmilk?

I pump & brestfeed. Im pumping because I plan on going back to work. My 3week old DD drink 3oz of milk in a bottle. Some times she'll finish it fast & some times she takes her time. My question is how long can I hold the milk for after she starts drinking it & then stops & later she wants more? should i get rid of the milk or just give her the same one?

I hope Im explaning my self.lol

Bless2haveU

Asked by Bless2haveU at 12:33 AM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't store it for longer then 30 mins or so ... after your baby drinks out of the bottle germs can begin to multiply. BUT that's just my opinion.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 12:58 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I have seen many mothers put a bottle in the fridge. You can always take off the nipple (change it) before you put it in the fridge. If you are not wanting to waste milk, when you unfreeze it, just pour 1.5 oz in the bottle, and add another 1.5 oz if she drinks it fast.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 1:09 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• well after you pump your aloud to have it out for 2 hours.. so if its fresh then i'd say two hours max.. depending on how much is left it might be easier to just put it away and then breast feed if she wants more later...
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:50 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Breastmilk can be kept at room temperature for 8-10 hours and refrigerated for around a week, BUT once the bottle has been sucked on germs have been introduced. You should keep it no more than half an hour afterward.

There's really no need to be giving her bottles at this point, though. You could build your supply better by pumping (and storing it) and then breastfeeding immediately afterward. Breasts are never empty. This way you will have built a nice supply of frozen milk for when you start working and you'll be better able to pump the needed amount.
    xtwistedxlovex

Answer by xtwistedxlovex at 4:50 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• It's important to breastfeed in the early weeks even if you are going to work. When you breastfed your first child your breasts grow more milk glands and ducts to become better at making milk. The baby is more effective at stimulating the breast than any pump. For now you could even pump one side and have the baby nurse the other and build up a stash of extra milk for when you go back to work.

www.kellymom.com is a great breastfeeding website. It has info about how to handle and store breastmilk and working and breastfeeding.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 6:45 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Freeze what you pump, and let her drink from the tap.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:09 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• By the way...don't think that you can't nurse at the breast just because you're going to work. Most babies handle the back and forth very well...better than mom. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 4:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2010