Any ideas for college money?

My son has a moderate GPA with an ACT of 21. Most want 24 or above. However his talents are medals in swimming and he just passed his Board of Review for Eagle Scout.

moneymagnetmom

Asked by moneymagnetmom at 12:38 AM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• How about just filling out a fafsa online for free and seeing what happens?
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 3:55 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• If your son qualifies for the full amount of the Pell Grant it is $2650 a semester this year. My two sons are going to a local state college and their tuition for full time is around $700. They get to keep the rest. I think it is a huge waste of money for students to go to an out-of-state university, private university, or to live in a dorm. Community colleges are great bargains.

It is very easy to get into state colleges and universities. Some states give free tuition if scores are high enough on SATs. Way back in the 70s my tuition was free and my oldest son's tuition was free in Indiana. We now live in Arizona and they don't have that program.

Applying for scholarships can be a lot of work. You have to find info about the scholarships and fill out applications for each one. If he is planning on going to college next fall it may be too late to apply for many scholarships.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 6:39 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• www.fastweb.com is a great source of scholarships.

It might be best if goes to a community college for a year; his credits will easily transfer to a university and he will have the opportunity to get better grades.

His high school guidance counselor may have more ideas.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:06 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• have you thought of a WAH business of sorts? extra income on your time?
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• thanks for the info on fafsa. I am not familar with it. I checkd fastweb this weekend and there is a lot there. I have to wait until the end of month to see if he qualifies for Pell as it must be submitted with current tax form. I appreciatet the advice about community college. I went that route myself. However in this small town I live in, the prices for the community college & this public university he wants to go to are pretty much the same. Plus he can earn up to 14 credit hours next summer for free. The expense is living on campus because we are not in a 30 mile radius of the school. We are about 65 or 75 miles away. The credits from the comm college will transfer, however he will still need to do classes at this university. They do not do basics the 1st 2 years. They are taken all 4 yrs, and every student takes them. That is why I am trying to help him find some money.

I appreciate all the advice. Thank you.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 11:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2010