I am leaning my son off his bottle but he still has to have one in the morning and at night before he goes to sleep, how do I get him copletely off the bottle?

Woe

Asked by Woe at 8:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it takes time but you just need to change the routine, maybe have a sippy cup of milk and a story before bed. I barely remember how i did it with my daughter and I have to start on my son soon. I know i kept trying different routines and HIDE the BOTTLE. That is a big one, if it is out of site you should be fine. My daughter threw a huge tantrum because my dad forgot and took out the bottle.
    ranNic0507

Answer by ranNic0507 at 8:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Very normal problem. The bottle is a comfort item for him. He will give it up, just when he is ready to. Sometimes the more we push...the more they resist. Take it slow and gentle with him..you do not want to create a power struggle with a 2 year old...they will win!! LOL You can buy some sippy cups with his favorite characters and try to get him more interested in them than in the bottle...good luck
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 8:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Take away the morning bottle first... only offer him milk (or whatever) in the sippy cup. Then you'll only have to deal with the bottle at bedtime. Eventually, just don't offer him the bottle. If he really wants the milk, he'll drink it from the cup. It should only take 2-3 days (well, that's how long it was for my son) before he realized it was OK to drink from the cup. You might have to cuddle him, read to him, or whatever you normally do a little extra for a few days during your bedtime routine to get him to settle down, but then he'll get back to normal.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I had this problem with my daughter and her bottle. I tried the weaning thing and it did not work, so... I went and bought the nasty lactose free soy milk and put that in the bottle and put her normal milk in a sippy. She hated the soy stuff - I told her that it tastes better in a sippy cuz she is such a big girl now! It actually worked, lol!! Bye bye bubbas!
    HMFIC4

Answer by HMFIC4 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• you know i probably aint the best person to answer this but i am gonna tell you what i did with my daughter i had her completely off the bottle when she turned 7 months old i did this because the longer you wait the harder its going to be to get your baby/toddler off the bottle well anyways i thought that i would take her off the bottle a lil at a time when she was six months old and i put her formula in a sippy cup with a silicone top and she never noticed a difference then a couple months later she was using a hard top sippy cup and a silicone top and she never complained she just was happy to get something but like i said the longer you wait the harder it is and all kids are different try going cold turkey? if your child is older than 12 months
    katesmom101

Answer by katesmom101 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• i'm not sure how old your child is... my son was 26 months and was still taking a night and morning bottle... we didnt completely wean him earlier because we moved and the doc suggested not to disrupt his schedules... he loved the sippy cup but the bottle was his comfort item... i couldnt just say no more bottle to a 2 year old... so what i did is bought him a new spongebob sippy cup and the next morning when he wanted a bottle, i stuffed paper towel in the nipple before i gave him the bottle... he wasnt able to get any milk so he gave me the bottle and was upset but i told him the bottle "broke"... then i showed him that we didnt have any more bottles left and i let him throw the "broken" bottle away... i offered him the new sippy... worked like a charm.
    TeamChavez

Answer by TeamChavez at 5:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2008