Saxton Math. Has anyone seen 331/3%

My dau is in 5th grade. She has not started decimals yet. So rather than ask what percent is 1/4, or 1/2 etc. , she had a problem that came out to 16 2/3. She needed the percent. I told her 17% or 16.67. She cried and said no. I found out they expected the answer to be 16 2/3%. I am good in Math and have never seen this. Have you?

moneymagnetmom

Asked by moneymagnetmom at 1:50 AM on Jan. 23, 2010 in

• yes if she hasn't learned decimals then the answer wouldn't be in decimals percents can be expressed in fraction form it just isn't done ofter.
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 2:01 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• pennies are a great way to explain decimals.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:01 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• It can be expressed either way. Most of the time you see it as decimal. Since that's somethings that's not really covered until middle school they use fractions for now.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 9:39 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• You answered your own question when you said she's not studying decimals yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• saxon is terrible and out of most schools in ohio. saxon was the name of the man who wrote the program. he would go to professional math teaching seminars and actually try to draw teachers away from the group promising that everything you need to teach math was in his box.... some schools actually bought into it! they do use some good strategies but you cannot use that as your math curriculum in ohio because someone has proven it to be ineffective!

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I met with the principal and teacher over this. I explained you either saw 1/2 or 50%. The teacher's response was that is how the book taught it. So I had to teach my daughter the difference. This was before they introduced decimals. I explained to my daughter that percent and decimals were opposites like addition and subtraction, like multiplication and division. I suggest you help her learn it like you know to teach it. I have 3 older kids who have never had this problem. It is the newest Saxton book.
    moneymagnetmom

Comment by moneymagnetmom (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2011

• P.S. My daughter cried over this too. The teacher did agree that she could put the correct answer of 16.67 or 17%. In the future we did that on her homework.
    moneymagnetmom

Comment by moneymagnetmom (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2011