Too soon for juice??

My daughter is 4 mos old. She was born prematurely. Developmentally, she's only 7 wks old. Since she's been out of the Nicu and been home, she wouldn't poop on her own. I had to give her suppositories. So I started buying Gerber Pear 100% Juice and giving her an ounce of nursery water with just enough juice to change the color of the water once a day. Now she poops by herself at least once every 2 days. But a lot of pple have told me it's way too soon to be giving her juice and even water. She's my 1st so I'm still learning. I wanna keep giving her juice because it's really helping with her digestion and I don't wanna go back to her not pooping for days at a time. I can't give her suppositories too much because it will mess up her rectum and she'll get too dependent on them and then NEVER learn to poop without them. The pear juice doesn't have as much acid as all the others. So should I stop giving it to her or will she be ok?

AmandaRyan

Asked by AmandaRyan at 2:01 AM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ask your pediatrician. Is she breast or formula fed? Formula fed babies usually go days between BMs depending on the baby.
    MamaCass05

Answer by MamaCass05 at 2:04 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• like the first answer says, check with your pedi, for children born on time, 4 months is standard age to start giving small amounts of water or juice. i'm not sure about premies.
    jessil83

Answer by jessil83 at 2:05 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I gave my son juice when he started eating cereal I think. Just call you pedi's office and ask one of the nurses there. They can tell you.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 2:06 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• She's formula fed. But she wasn't just going a few days without a bm. Without a suppository, she NEVER pooped AT ALL. She would go forever without a bm, and when i'd finally give her a suppository, her poop would be black and hard as rock. Now that she's getting the juice, she poops at least once every 2 days, and it's usually yellow or green and it's soft. In other words, it's normal baby poop now.
    AmandaRyan

Answer by AmandaRyan at 2:12 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• definately talk with her doc. I would rather do the juice thing than suppositories as you said but never a bad idea to talk to the doc about it.
    MamaCass05

Answer by MamaCass05 at 2:16 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Well, we just moved from Virginia to West Virginia. And I don't have West Virginia insurance yet, and without insurance, none of these pediatricians will except Presley as a patient. So at the moment, she doesn't have a pediatrician and it sucks. I had to take her to the ER a couple weeks ago because she was sick and I wanted to make sure it wasn't RSV. It would've really been nice if I could've found a pediatrician to accept her because I felt kinda dumb taking her to the ER because she was coughing and congested. LoL. But hey, she's a preemie and she's my baby girl, whether I look stupid or not, I'm not taking any chances with her.
    AmandaRyan

Answer by AmandaRyan at 2:26 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I'm sorry to hear she was sick... I started giving my dd juice like that when she was 6 mos but if it's helping her I'd say go for it! Try to find a pedi as quickly as you can and good luck too! I wouldn't stop personally!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:35 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• If you are only giving her an ounce it is perfectly fine, babies under nine months shouldn't have more than 2 ounces of water because it can cause kidney damage, I can explain why but it is a long complicated scientific process. Also something you can try, if and when she starts rice cereal add baby peaches to that. So just make sure that she is getting enough formula to supplement what can be lost in her system by giving her a watered down anything. A lot of people are against juice because it has sugar, but preemies need more sugars than normal babies so that isn't an issue, it is helping her digestion and she isn't ill because of it so it is fine.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:38 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I think it is way to early... they aren't suppose to start having juice until 9 months at the earliest.. all she needs is breast milk or formula.. stop giving her juice and water...
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:42 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• That isn't true you can start juice as early as 4 months if it is in small amounts, but most say 6 months is when to begin juice but this is an extreme case and it is ok.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:46 AM on Jan. 23, 2010