My daughter wont use the potty!!!!!!!!!

Help!!! I bought my daughter a potty chair a couple months ago. Things were great the first couple day but now when i try to put here on it She gets upset and cries...What do I do???????????

lotus1216

Asked by lotus1216 at 2:37 AM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I see she is 1 to 2 years old which is the big issue, most kids don't potty train until after they are two there are very rare exceptions, but if she cried and you push it you can end up making her never want to use the potty. She needs to show signs of readiness before you should be pushing it. She follows and is interested in your potty time, she hides when she goes in her diaper, she can use words for pee and poop, and understands what they are. If she can't do that she isn't truly ready yet, and forcing it makes it worse.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:42 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Wait. Put it away for a few months and try again later :)
    _Kitty_kat_

Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 2:42 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• just wait until she is ready. she'll start to show a desire to use it when she is actually ready to do so. she did it at first b/c it was something new and at the time exciting now its just a hassle and something you are pushing on her. my daughter loved her kid potty for about a week than wouldn't go near it and actually never used it again, when she was ready she just hopped onto the adult toilet went and came and got us and said look i went. she was just past 2 1/2. but even then she stopped for a bit again and i tried to make her go on the potty and it just turned into a fight. she just turned 4 in dec and she is finally at a point where we go out & she isn't in pull ups.
    jessil83

Answer by jessil83 at 2:43 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• reward her for using the potty when she wants to. I used a sticker chart for my son. After X number of stickers he got a small reward like a dollar store toy or a trip to the park. etc. when he filled the chart he got a bit reward, like going to chuck e' cheese. (please don't use food as a reward. it teaches children to reward themselves with food which often carries into adulthood and can contribute to obesity).

Every two hours remind her that she should go to the bathroom like a big girl.

Be specific about what you expect of her. If you want to work on one function at a time only talk about going pee pee in the potty. and if she does happen to go poop make it a big deal but don't expect it until you think she's ready.
    Try having only one word for each function. "pee pee" or "tinkle" whatever. as long as you use the same one every time.

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:02 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Wait until she turns 3. They train in a few days if you wait until they are ready.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:07 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Try again in six months.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:57 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I am in the same boat, my daughter will not use the potty. She was until I had my son. What is bad is my daughter is 3 1/2 years old and is very stubborn.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 7:08 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Sounds like she is NOT ready for it. A lot of times kids will be afraid of using it too which could be why she is crying.
    I would leave it out -but not push her to use it. Eventually she will be ready!
    I worked at a day care and to be honest-out of like 12 kids in the 2's room (my room) there were 2 maybe 3 that were potty trained
    in the 3's I think it was about half
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:57 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Don't put her on it if she's crying and scared. I would take her into the bathroom with you for a few days and have it out. Give yourself a prize for sitting on the potty. A sticker, a stamp, something. She'll try it, and realize it's not scary!
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 23, 2010