The baby wasnt latching on all the way and was only taking in the tip of my nipple on his first day. which made my nipples sore and on there way to being cracked.

the lactation nurse showed us how to do it the "right" way... but they are still sore! is this normal.. or am i still doing it wrong? im sure its normal to be sore when first starting but i dont want to mess this up.

mrs_skittles

Asked by mrs_skittles at 4:35 AM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You will be sore for a little while just make sure that the baby takes the whole nipple and areola as well, it takes time good luck.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:40 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• If they are too sore that you feel you cannot beastfeed, I would suggest trying nipple gaurds. It is just a shield that goes around your whole nipple and areola. It helps relieve the tongue thrashing that newborns do but still receive plenty of milk in the process. Mine were always very sensitive and I found these to help soooo much. Also some lanolin oil or lotion should help also with the cracking. Apply a small amount after breast feeding and they should start to feel better in the next day or so.
    Good luck :)
    wolfmomma30

Answer by wolfmomma30 at 4:57 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Don't do the nipple shield! They can cause sore nipples and the baby can get used to the nipple shield and you have problems getting the baby to take the breast without the shield.

They are most likely still sore from the baby not getting a good latch to start with. You want to make sure the baby's mouth is open wide before you draw the baby to the breast. You want to draw the baby to the breast not shove the nipple in the baby's mouth. It's not supposed to hurt but you got off to a bad start. It will be better soon. You can take pain meds. Pain meds are used for breastfeeding moms that have had c-sections all the time.

www.kellymom.com is a good breastfeeding website.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 6:12 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I had a good latch, my LC assured me..but in the beginning the tingle most woman get during let down was very painful for me. It went away to a tingle after a week. Just make sure you have a good latch and let your nipples air dry. Call your local La leche for a meeting, bring the baby everyone will help you.

http://www.llli.org/

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:29 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• It may be that:

your nipples are just getting used to it, or

the baby isn't doing it properly the entire time.

Though the milk comes out of the nipples, it is the "massage" of the areolas that forces the milk out. Check that the babe's ears are wiggling and that she is actually swallowing.

By 6-7 weeks, bfing should start becoming routine for both of you. Sometimes it is just that the baby has grown and matured by then.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:09 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• It's normal. It will get better! Get some lansinoh or other nipple cream that is safe for babies to consume.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Your nipples are most likely still sore because of the bad latch you had at the start - I had that problem with my son, and even though we fixed that latch problem, I was still sore a couple of weeks. Use the lanolin EVERY time you nurse, and know that it does get better :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 23, 2010