feed on demand vs. schedule

my baby was on schedule 30z every 3hrs. but if he's hungry an hour later do you give him a little more or wait til next feeding. i know babies have the need to suck so yeah i give him the paci too. well the pediatric told me schedule then another pediatric at the txccc told me feed on demand and that every baby is different he'll let you know when he's hungry. that babies eat between 1hr-4hrs. what do you think??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Always feed on demand, they are growing and may need more at one time than others you should not schedule because they need food and it isn't fair to deprive them.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:12 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Feed on demand, especially if your BF.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:16 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:19 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I aways fed on demand, but he made his own schedule, so I knew when he would be eating next, but it was his own making
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:23 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• You can't feed formula fed babies on demand like you do breastfed babies. They can and will overfeed. You can't go over the ounces you are supposed to feed for the day. You don't want your baby to get overweight and have lifelong problems. The calories per day is what is most important.

Babies get fussy for many reasons. If you don't breastfeed you have to learn other ways to sooth your baby. One of the advantages of breastfeeding is that it can make a baby not feel deprived. You are going to have to get used to that and learn other ways since you don't have "magic milky". It's hard, I know. My son and I take care of my grandson while my dil works. I breastfed my children and it is very different taking care of a baby you love and can't calm because you don't have breastmilk.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 7:25 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• OMG here she goes again
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• you should ocmbine the two you will notice your child kinda has their on schdule my son was a big eater but not a frequent eater he would take about 5 ounces every 4-6 hours some kids ae 2 oucnes every hour leanr how yur child feeds then build a schdule arund that
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 8:19 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• It isn't real popular with many dr.'s because everyone is so concerned about babies being overweight...but I've always said, if a kid is hungry...feed it. Did it that way with all mine and none of them were ever overweight. A couple of them were formula babies and one was breast fed.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:08 AM on Jan. 23, 2010