potty training 14 month old boy?

is 14 months too early to start potty training a boy? i'm having another in june and would love to get him started. we have a potty, and he has gone in it twice. he always goes right after dinner before his bath, so now we take him in and sit him on the potty. he has gone the last two nights. would this be a good starting point? i don't want to push him, and honestly he usually doesn't even care if hes wet or dirty. but seeing him use the potty makes me very excited to try it out. any thoughts or advice?

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 8:43 AM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• way too early hon sorry. you can help tho by allowing him to see dad going to the bathroom so he sees . its just that at that age they are ot ready to understand the whole concept of not the diaper the potty. you can read potty books and stuff like that but no guarentee he will connect it. but by all means if he goes int he potty clap and cheer and act like a fool lol but if he suddenly gets tired or bored with it, dont push. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:45 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Boys train around three years old.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 8:48 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• My son has been more or less trained since he was 2, but he definitely cares about being wet. That's the only reason he was able to do it. I don't think it hurts for you to put him on the potty and get used to the idea though.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 9:15 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Leave the potty but I wouldn't force it. I doubt he is physically ready to be "really" potty trained at this age.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:20 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Not at all! I say why not and I am tired of the moms who say don't force it, they are the ones with 5 year olds still not potty trained and thinking it's ok. We started with my son at 16 months and he did great.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• babies dont usually want to potty train before 24 months and if u start pushing him now u could actually make him go backwards and not want to until later. it may suck to have 2 in diapers but i think 14 months is way too young
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Just because other people don't do it before 2 these days doesn't mean it can't be done. I would caution you, however, the it is very common for a trained toddler to backslide when a new baby arrives. Introduce it, encourage him, reward him, and see how it goes. Worst case scenario, your kid will train when everyone else starts to train theirs. We have had great luck potty training ours before 2 with no tears, no stress, and no issues. Some may say you are trained, but that isn't the case at my house. My baby walks to the potty, puts her hand on it, and looks at me. I guess I'm trained to pick her up and set her on it. That's all right in my book.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Way too early unless HE is showing you signs!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I also am intrigued with this theory that trying now will make him train later. What's later, 3? No one else seems to bother to start until 3, so it seems like no gain no loss.
    whiteroses82

• Definitely not too young. Especially if you cloth diaper as they tend to show signs of readiness sooner.  You can bribe him to sit on the potty with special treats that he only gets when he's sitting on the potty.  Take him to the potty at times when he's most likely to go, such as waking up or as you've already done after dinner.  Make a big deal about it when he actually goes in the potty.  Many times they won't care to use the potty if they have a diaper on, but letting things hang free around the house they are more likely to use it. Don't make a big deal about it if he has an accident around the house; pet mess cleaner works wonders for it. Take him to the potty if you notice him start to go elsewhere. Kids are amazingly smart and when they can see and feel what their body is doing when it's doing it they learn the potty sensations sooner. Best of luck to you.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 11:43 AM on Jan. 23, 2010