long hair, two kids and tangles! ideas...?

So I grew my hair out while I was pregnant with my 1st child and let it keep growing since then. Its gotten pretty long, half way down my back!
Well now that my second son is about to be 6 months old, I am wantin to leave my hair down more and style it...It just gets so tangled with me pushing it out of the way and the kids playing with it.
Are there any ways I can help keep the knots out of my hair without cutting it too much? I dont mind cutting it some but I worked really hard to not cut my hair. I use to cut it in all sorts of styles and always wanted long hair but could never wait long enough for it to grow!

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 8:45 AM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Brush it out and braid it at night, then in the morning, brush it out and try taking the sides and top and braiding just that part.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:58 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I've had long hair and not had tangle problems. I have straight hair and only use shampoo and conditioner. I don't use styling products. It could be your hair is getting tangled because of products. Changing conditioners may help.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:56 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• This is exactly my situation, and I was looking at short hairstyles last night. I've never had tangle issues before but now I'm losing so much hair and I have tangles. I'm going to cut mine, I wear mine pulled back the majority of the time, pretty much except when I'm sleeping. I don't use any hair products but I think wearing it in a hair tie is making it break off and damaging it. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I have always had long hair, when I am playing with the kids/grandkids I pull it up. I try to brush it several times throughout the day. I even let my gd brush it for me, at first she wasn't too good at it, but now she loves doing it and does it pretty good.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 10:13 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• If your hair gets that knotted and tangled you probably shouldn't have long hair. Sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I put my hair in a french braid down the back. I am actually in the process of growing my bangs out too, so headbands and braiding are my styles of choice. Maybe if you are wanting to grow it out, while you are at home keep it up or braided. Less chance of tangles that way. I use garnier conditioner and it seems to work best for tangles in my hair. Or maybe try a leave in conditioner and see if that helps.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 10:25 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• baby detangle shampoo i use that!
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2010