Any tips on keeping my family healthy?

Okay, I have a family of 6 - 4 kids (2 in elementary school). My hubby and I just got over strep throat. Now my youngest has bronchitis. I'm just so sick of the runaround with sniffling and sneezing and all that jazz. Yeah, I know it's part of having kids but what can I do to help get my household HEALTHY?? Any ideas on vitamins or herbs or cleaning products? What do you do?

jenettyshome

Asked by jenettyshome at 9:09 AM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Health

• You can adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

You catch a virus by coming in contact with it; this is why hand washing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days?
    I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this:
    With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves?

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:24 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Wash hands whenever you've been out. The first thing I do when getting home, after taking off my coat, is wash my hands. Don't go where there are crowds of people who might be sneezing and coughing. Use the dishwasher- it heats the water. If someone is sick wipe everything they might touch with a disinfectant wipe or with a disinfectant of your choice- Don't forget the toilet flusher, light switches, faucet handles, - and needless to say the toilet, sink. Give them their own toothpaste tube. I have a friend who puts a small glass of peroxide on the bathroom sink and soaks her toothbrush in that until she is better. I suspect that germs may be spread by using a toothbrush that is contaminated, so change the toothbrush of the sick person or disinfect it. Lots of citrus- orange, lemon. Echinacea tea.

Answer by Bmat at 10:00 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Homeschool.

I had 3 kids that were sick so much if we tried public school it was just easier to homeschool. My county health department has a public service TV ad showing how a sneeze can carry germs 160 feet. Wow!

I have a genetic immune deficiency disorder and we get bacterial infections easily. The good thing is the viral fighting part of my immune system works overtime and I don't get viral infections. I get IVs of gamma globulin every 3 weeks to help protect me from infection but I still have to shop at odd hours, avoid movie theaters, crowds, church, anywhere there may be sick or young people.

After avoidance, handwashing is your best defense. Good general nutrition, hydration and stress reduction are also important.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:20 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children. Of 326 healthy children three to five years old, 104 were randomly assigned to receive placebo, 110 received _Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM_ and 112 received a combination of _L acidophilus NCFM_ and _Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis Bi-07_. The children were treated twice daily for 6 months... Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328