Anyone induced with Pitocin - no pain meds, vaginal birth?

I will have a medically necessary induction with pitocin on Monday. Please don't respond and tell me to let the baby come on it's own, this is not an elective induction. (I have gestational diabetes, on insulin, and was never overweight, only gained 15 lbs). I do have a bishop score of 9, and have been 4 cm dialated and 85% effaced for days. I have tried EPO, sex, walking etc with no luck so it is induction time at 39.5 weeks. How did you manage your pain on pitocin, and have a vaginal delivery? I will not have to have continuous electronic fetal monitoring unless there is a problem. All the information on the web talks about avoiding induction.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was very ill and hospitalized several weeks before an induction with pitocin. I had continuous monitoring and IVs in both arms (one pitocin and one for my medical conditions) and couldn't move much. I didn't have any other interventions, no pain meds, vaginal birth. Very easy birth. I was in labor about 9 hours.

It was my 3rd birth. My first 2 were with no interventions, not even an IV.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:35 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I just moved around as much as I could. We tried a half dose of Nubane, but it did absolutely nothing, so I don't count it as pain relief; there was no relief. Focusing on something else, moving as much as possible- I really liked the birthing ball, I even got to take it in the shower with me. If the hospital you are going to has a bath tub, that is really good for pain relief. The one we went to didn't so I got a hot shower instead. I did get a pudental block for the crowning; those wear off really quickly. You can expect your labor to be more intense and go more quickly than if you were not induced. I was induced at 37/38 weeks after two weeks of very slow labor that was making me sick. When I went in I was almost 4 cm dilated, six hours after pitocin drip I had our little girl in my arms. Ideally, we all want to make it through without help, but it's okay to get it if you need it. You still end up with a baby.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:37 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I think the most important thing would be to have a doula. It may not be too late. Even though I have childbirth educator training I had planned to have a nurse doula with me. My birth came earlier than planned and I had a friend that was training to be a midwife come to be with me.

It may not be too late to get a doula for Monday. Sometimes there are doulas in training that need to attend births that really know a lot but just need their certification. They may come to your birth for reduced fees or even barter.

If you can't do that then learn everything you can between now and then about normal birth. Get childbirth class videos from the library or video stores. Get books. Look at the Lamaze and CIMS websites. Watch empowering youtube videos like waterbirths, homebirths, unassisted births, not births gone wrong. Get to where you believe in your powers to birth your baby.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:42 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• i had been in labor naturally(no pain meds) for almost 30 hours before they gave me the pitocin. when i got it the labor definatley got worse, so i sat in the jet tub for as long as they would let me. they also had me get on all fours and rock. the ball helped alot as well. i tried everything before the little stinker wanted to come out lol. all i can say is i mentally tried to block out the pain as much as possible. i had my mom and sisters in there who talked about everyday things and didnt keep asking how i was feeling and such which also helps ease your mind :) good luck hope everything goes smoothly
    ashtynsmom730

Answer by ashtynsmom730 at 9:43 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I was induced w/piticion. I didn't want to, but I was 41 weeks and my doctor said I needed to. I did have an epidural, but it did not work (probably b/c I have scoliosis in my lower back), so I felt everything. I don't think my DD wanted to come out b/c I was still in labor for 18 hours. I did have 2nd degree tears when I had her. Very painful and they still give you the pitocian a few hours after your baby is born. I honestly don't have any advice, just good luck for you that your birth is not as bad as mine was. I have many friends induced with the pitcion and delivered vaginally, but their birthing experience was very easy; not in labor for too long and no tears.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:52 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I was induced at 41 weeks. I did have the epidural about an hour after hard contractions started. I was in tears by that point, I couldn't talk or breathe through them. Luckily the epidural worked though, and I went on to have a near perfect vaginal delivery. They did use forceps because I was too exhausted to push her out at the end. They told me that if the forceps didn't work, I would have to have a c-section. You better believe my ass found the strength to keep pushing lol!

I think a lot of women who have pitocin are just fine. You just tend to hear more about the ones who have horror stories.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:04 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I was induced with pitocin with my third child. The labor was more intense in my opinion and they gave me a drug called stadol(SP?) which made me totally loopy LOLLLL my mom and my husband at the time were in the room with me and they had a field day at my expense LOL Anyway, it wasn't so bad. My son was perfectly healthy and I recovered just fine post-partum.

I don't think you should worry yourself needlessly about the pain. If you just breathe through the contractions they won't be so bad. I delivered a 10 pd 4 oz baby (my second son...and the reason why i never had another natural child birth LOL) and i had lots of problems with him getting stuck and i was in so much pain, but I managed to breathe through the contractions and survived the whole experience. :) Just don't go into that delivery room dwelling on the fact it's going to hurt. Just concentrate with each contraction that you are minutes closer to seeing your baby
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 10:21 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• With my 1st 4 children I was induced with pitocin and i've never had an epidural. All had vaginal deliveries. I managed the pain by walking and sitting on a ball. My next 3 were born at home with no interventions at all. I too have gd, but without insulin. The diets I was on while pg with my 1st 4, did nothing compared to the diet my MW had me on while pg with my next 3. My smallest of the 1st 4 babies was 11lbs. and they were all induced between 38-39 weeks. With my last 3 the biggest was 11lbs and they were born between 39-41 weeks. I gained about 20lbs. with my dr. monitored babies, I gained 2 lbs. with my homebirths.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Do you have someone that can help you to stay comfy. progressing, and protected?
    Have you been practicing any pain-coping from home (already know some)?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:28 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• My daughter was induced with the pitocin. I didnt have pain meds to help either. I was induced two weeks ahead due to my high blood pressure. Everything turned out fine. It went on for about an hour(my second child). I had acutally asked for pain meds but was too far along by that time. I just did the breathing techniques they told me to do & walked around.
    babybutastink

Answer by babybutastink at 10:33 AM on Jan. 23, 2010