What do you do?

Since we got our 11 yo daughter a DS for Christmas that's all she wants to do!!! She plays it on the bus (that means 2 hrs) there, she even plays it during commercials and carrys it with her as she walks around the house. What is it with some kids and computer games, DS, TV, Wii, etc. I'm wondering if it's a good thing having all these. When you have so many how do you limit their time??? I'm afraid she will lose her comunication skills! What do you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jan. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well I guess you could limit her time on it. But honestly, we got one for my dd for her last b-day and for the first couple months she was on it all the time, but after awhile it wears off some. She still plays it, but it isn't attached to her!
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 10:02 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Relax! She'll move on to something else.... She'll get used to it and will make room for other stuff.
    Oh, and she's not in danger of losing her communcation skills...If something like this would cause that she wouldn't have the intelligence to play it. She's 11, leave her alone, she won't be like this forever.
    TinaN64

Answer by TinaN64 at 10:12 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• set limits she shouldn't be playing it so much all the time
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• You limit her time. On school nights, her combined TV and electronics should be one hour; on non-school nights, two.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:21 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• you should limit her time...if you read the warning label on those games it says too much exposure can cause seizures
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• its the lighting in it or something...you should only allow her to play up to 30 mins at a time or an hour and take breaks...it is really bad for the eyes
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:27 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• She's a kid, she'll be fine. I do agree that the electronics day and age we live in is a little overwhelming. Simple phone calls are now replaced with texting, it's like personal interaction has flown out the window.

My twins are six. They are constantly on their DS or the computer and I have no worries about them at all. They are above average in their class, reading well above where they should be(not bragging just making a point here) and they fly through their homework and do it right. They are pretty popular, so their social skills aren't suffering either. So this garbage about limiting time on tv and puters is a crock in my opinion. I still spend time with them too(going to the park, out to mickey d's etc..) so as long as her physical activity, mental, academic and social skills are met, I wouldn't concern myself too much with it. She'll out grow it over time and move on to something else.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 10:32 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• there is no scientific evidence that it is harmful but people have reported that their kids have had problems...i remember when i was a kid playing mario non stop and having migraines in my eyes just at the age of 9. It can't be good for you.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• From a medical standpoint, I can't play many video games. I have a very mild case of epilepsy that reacts to a lot of video games. I can't play console games, but most casual PC games I am ok with. However, if I drive on the highway at night, I have to be very very careful there as well. I got really bad migraines before anything else developed. I would talk to her about the importance of maintaining her friends, her active life and to let you know if anything strange physical develops. Then I would set a few limitations, not a lot right now. I mean, she is 11, so I don't think its as bad. But I would say no games while watching tv, that just seems overstimulating to me. Things like that. Odds are, by March, it will just be another toy she plays with casually.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• and yes i did later have seizures
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:14 AM on Jan. 23, 2010