do you believe sweets and sugar make kids hyper?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Jan. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh my goodness! LOL yes! I didn't used to think it did. I had had watched alot of kids but never noticed a difference until I had a child! LOL Now I know what everyone was talking about! :)
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• no.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:27 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I think with some kids the effects are not noticable, but with other kids the effects can be pretty severe. It never seemed to make much difference with my oldest child, but with my two year old son, who is usually pretty mellow, is bouncing off the walls within minutes of consuming sugary drinks or treats. Needless to say, I am much more insistant about limiting his sugar intake.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I'll give my son a big piece of chocolate cake and send him over to your house and show you the answer!!! lol!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• No.

" The answer is no, despite the fact that so many people believe this to be true. Many carefully controlled studies have been conducted to test this idea and failed to find any effect of sugar consumption on children's behavior. "

taken from here: http://www.ccmr.cornell.edu/education/ask/index.html?quid=241

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:28 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• That is interesting charlotsomtimes...I need to have my son read that link so he knows not to get hyper next time!! LOL
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 10:31 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• i really can't say because i've never really allowed him to have alot of sugar. I've always limited it. So i have'nt been able to tell a difference. He is fine eating a slice of cake or a candy bar. I think sometimes he acts like he is on a sugar high though...just naturally =)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• nope, my kids had sodas and ice cream minutes before bedtime and they fell right to sleep.
    RAI2001

Answer by RAI2001 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• No, not at all. In fact following studies, there is no proof of this at all. Studies have showed that sugar actually slows the children down as the blood sugar levels change. Caffeine on the other hand can and will make a child hyper. So sure, if they consume chocolate it might have an effect, but it's not the sugar as many think. I know everyone is going to ask for proof or whatever. Look it up yourself, your homework is not my job. Show me scientific evidence to prove it the other way. Not just what you want to see.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• nope. My kids are less active and hyper after eating cake or candy than they are after eating things that are "healthier" for them like apples or meatloaf. A well balanced meal will always produce more energy than a high sugar one. While high amounts of sugar DO raise the heartbeat temporarily, it does NOT produce energy in children or adults!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:59 AM on Jan. 23, 2010