Negative pregnancy tests but still have symptoms? Please help.

I am 22 years old and for the last month and a half I have been developing symptoms of pregnancy. I have a certain aversion to foods I previously loved, my breasts are very tender to the touch and have swelled one cup size, I have to use the restroom every hour pretty much on the hour and I have severe constipation. I have taken two pregnancy tests now, one on Wednesday, and then another one this morning. Both are negative but I cannot help but feel that I am pregnant. I am a college student dependent from my parents so I do not currently have medical insurance or have I needed up till this point. My state does provide insurance for those who are pregnant but to get on the insurance to see a Dr. I have to have confirmed results that I am pregnant. I do not know what to do! I am very lost and confused because there is something going on with my body that these tests wont tell me! Any advice :(

nymphadora5658

Asked by nymphadora5658 at 10:38 AM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you go to a university they should have a medical facility. If not, see if your area has a planned parenthood or a health dept where you can see a doctor or nurse practitioner who can tell you what's up

Answer by admckenzie at 10:40 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• well a pregnacy test can say "neg" even if you are preg. for a few reasons 1. your preg hormon level is low. This is why the test must be taken with the first pee in the morning. It is stronger. 2. you could be so early in the preg. that hormon is still low. A test will NEVER say positive if you are not preggers, because you cant have that hormone unless you are preg. So wait a week and take another test first thing in the morning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Go get the pregnancy blood test, do not use the ones from the pharmacy. The blood ones are the more accurate of the two. if that comes out negative, then go see a gynocologist. Good luck.

Answer by older at 10:53 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• i felt the same way for a while because i had just gotten off depo...my doctor said it was my horomones trying to get back in balance. I hope you are not trying to get preg just to have the states insurence...that is not a good reason.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• No it was not planned but I am one of those people that try and have their bases covered. When I first thought that I might be pregnant I started researching Health Care because there is no way I could afford pre-natal and post-natal appointments while trying to finish up school. I havent had insurance by choice because I have never needed it and it was an additional expense I just couldnt afford when I'm taking 18 credit hours plus student teaching. I looked online and I guess there are clinics where you could get blood pregnancy tests done for $30 but its scary not knowing if they are safe or not. I moved far away from my OBGYN and now I dont know who to turned to...
    nymphadora5658

Answer by nymphadora5658 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Get a blood test from the health department. Many times we relate symptoms to pregnancy that aren't though, so calm down. It may not be a pregnancy at all.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• False negatives are EXTREMELY common with HPTs. www.peeonastick.com is a great source of info on HPTs. Many women test too early for there to be enough of the hormone present to create a positive. Some tests just don't work right. And some women don't have the hormone show up in their urine. My mother, for example, had to be confirmed pregnant for her insurance and though she was large and obviously pregnant she came up negative on the urine test. I also know another woman who never had a positive urine test with any of her three children. The blood tests are much more accurate as they measure the exact amount of HcG vs the presence of HcG. What makes you concerned about the safety of the test?
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 11:57 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Sometimes, if you have an etopic pregnancy...the home test will come out negative...you need blood work done...I hope is not etopic..
    BiBi2010

Answer by BiBi2010 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2010