If you were ignorant of the Bible (Christians)

And you didn't even have the bare basic knowledge of it, like the things you see in movies, The Ten Commandments, etc. Would you lie, cheat, steal and kill? Without the Bible would you be an amoral person?

When people ask how or if atheists have morals, I wonder, would those doing the asking be incapable of being good if the Bible didn't make them be good?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was wondering the same thing. The thing is, I think a lot of people who are religiouis would say they can't imagine not ever knowing God and therefore cannot answer honestly.
    They've always known god and the bible and church, AND were taught these morals are exclusive to their God. THAT is the misconception.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• no
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• The bottom line is there IS a bible, and there IS a God and God would have found SOME way to get us His word and rules.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• My FIL grew up with no knowledge of God and no moral codes He lied, he cheated, he stole. After he married my MIL they began to attend church a few years into their marriage. He quit drinking and cleaned up very well. What difference does it make if he turned his life around because of the bible?

Being an atheist sure wasn't setting the moral standard, does it matter if reading the bible did encourage him to do the right thing?

To answer your question, yes of course they could do the right thing. Just because God helps us in one way doesn't mean he can't help us in another.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• AND were taught these morals are exclusive to their God. THAT is the misconception.

I think the biggest misconception here is that some people think Christians believe morals are only for Christians. That is just an absurd idea based on a few examples.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• it is going to be very interesting to see how many atheist and pagans come in here and stereo type Christians. Some atheist look for every chance they can to bash Christians. Lets see if this will be another chance that is jumped on with a grip.

The obvious answer is yes, if a Christians didn't think the bible gives us guidance for being good and having good morals they wouldn't follow the bible. Don't forget we have free will. A person will follow the bible because they know it is right. Contrary to popular belief, most Christians do not just blindly follow their faith.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• i wouldnt do those things simply b/c they are illegal, Bible or not. my parents didnt teach me morals solely based on the Bible. i was brought up not to hit b/c it hurt ppls feelings, not b/c God didnt like it. the only purely Bible based moral i was raised w/ was that premarital sex was wrong, & that didnt stick.

i dont think the problem is that Christians are only good b/c the Bible says they have to be, but that they see the Bible as their moral guidebook. most religions have a set of dos & donts, but Atheism does not (as its not a set religion). so to some Christians they dont know were Atheists stand as a whole on morals & instead of getting to know each one, these some just assume they dont have any.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:41 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I think if I didnt have the Bible I would not have been as clean cut as I was. I never smoked, drank, or had sex until I was married. I doubt I would have had the strength to not do those things if I hadn't had the word of God to guide me. It was hard enough as it was
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• "AND were taught these morals are exclusive to their God."

i was never taught that. heck, ive never even heard that. thats just a horrible blanket statement. i dont doubt there are some fundies who think that way, but to make us all out to be that arrogant is wrong.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:47 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Did you know that the human prefrontal lobes, both right and left are directly correlated to moral and ethical behavior? In the prefrontal lobes is where our thoughts of right or wrong are established, where we can identify stimuli such as facial behavior and gestures as whether they are loving or violent and how we can appropriately respond to such stimuli. I'm a psychiatry major in the process of attaining my PhD. Moral and ethical values such as the processes of thinking right and wrong like killing, stealing and lying are innate upon the individual who posseses those characteristics. We each are actually born with the ability to have the morality to make assessments on what is wrong and right regardless of Christianity or biblical knowledge. :) food for thought
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 23, 2010