Do you judge on apperance?

I was wondering. If you saw a new girl at school or at work,do you talk to her or do you ignore her? Would you talk to her if she was overweight or didn't have $300 shoes on her feet or if she didn't look like a barbie? It seems like society doesn't give a crap about the regular jane doe.These days you have to look like a barbie clone just for people to treat you like you're human.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If I was still in high school and there was a new girl and she was sitting by herself at lunch I would speak to her. I would invite her over to sit at my table. Overweight people are more approachable then a barbie clone anyways.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:01 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I personally have never seen that happen. Then again I dont know heartless pr*cks.
    My group of friends is a mix of everyone. Always has been always will be. As long as you arent a snotty B you are welcome.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I dunno......thats what the media seems to portray but I find it to be different. I'm 30 years old and from my experience I've never known anyone to only pay attention to barbie clones or what media presents as "perfect". I've known overweight ppl, small, big, portly, skinny, pimple faced, bald, rich and poor people, and they've all been my friends and we've all had great life experiences and bad life experiences. We all have friends and people who don't like us and granted due to monetary situations some of our lives are easier, but for the most part there's no one person that gets treated better by society. I think its what we each make of our lives that creates our image to society.

I personally don't judge, I don't wear 300 dollar shoes or clothes...more than likely I wear a 3 dollar shirt with 20 dollar pants and I'm happy.....I like everyone until they show me I should do differently
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Yes, I do judge on appearance. And studies have proven that so does everyone else. Remember that old addage about First Impressions?? Well, in most cases physical appearance is that first impression, way before words are ever spoken. Now, while I don't expect someone to have $300 shoes, I do expect that they are clean. Someone in a $1 shirt that is clean and has combed hair is someone that I am more likely to approach than someone in a $500 pair of pants if those pants are stained and wrinkled that has bed head...

Appearance does go a long way to say how they feel about themselves and others. If you don't have enough respect for yourself to brush your teeth and hair, I really couldn't care less what your personality is like.

Clothes, jewelry, make up, shoes... Don't matter. Having enough respect for yourself to make sure that no matter what you are wearing you look clean and well put together makes a great statement

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:18 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• As for weight... I don't expect everyone to be 130lbs. Hell, I'm not thin anymore! But I do expect that people dress for their body type and fitness level. I mean, if you are 5' 3" and 200lbs, that's fine, but don't wear a tube top. Again, it comes down to the level of self respect that your appearance portrays.

If you don't respect yourself, why would I think you could or would respect me? If you won't respect me, I don't want to have anything to do with you... It's really that simple.

There are plenty of heavy, beautiful and strong women out there, many even in Hollywood. They are great role models for women and proof that you can be beautiful and well put together at any weight. So, I NEVER let weight be ab excuse as to why someone should give up on appearance or self respect...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:24 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• SabrinaMBowen: you brought up a good point......judging hygeine is definitely in my agenda. While I don't care about what type of clothes people are wearing, I do see bad hygeine.....dirty teeth, greasy hair, dirty fingernails, stained and soiled clothes....thats just gross. I'm not judging the individual, but if I notice some bad hygeine I certainly try not to come into contact with that person......yuck!
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I do. Women who get all dolled up for everything -- full make up, $300 shoes, trendy clothes, etc. .. are those I stay away from. I don't think we have anything in common. On the flip side, those who wear their PJ's and slippers out of the house are also avoided, again because I doubt we'd have much in common. I look for those plain Jane mommas to be friends with, but I can't find any, other than myself. I figure, finding someone with my common interests can easily start with similar ideas on how to dress.

I have never experienced not being treated like a human however, due to my lack of Barbieness.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• i think first impressions are vital. i don't ever base them on weight, or the cost of their clothes... but i would base it on how they looked. i think a persons appearance should be fitting to the situation they are in. i think its always a good idea to make sure you look presentable even when going to the grocery store. just making sure your hair was clean and brushed, teeth brushed, clean clothes, etc. as long as they were acceptable, it wouldn't matter to me what kind or brand of clothes you had on.
    Anonymous

• I dont judge talking to someone or not on physical appearnace unless they seem to be strung out on drugs or drunk. but clothing, weight, hair, shoes, what have you. i dont give a flying hoot.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Agree with SabrinaMBowen, good points!
    sophiesmom07

Answer by sophiesmom07 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2010