my husbands dog is dying.... how can i make him comfortable?

he has been vomiting almost everytime he eats, he has BAD incontinence problems.....just over night lastnight there are 8 diareaha spots on my carpet, he whines like he is in pain, he shakes constantly. my husband will not have him put down and i cant bring myself to try to talk him into it. i need something to help him. i feel so bad for him and it seems there is nothing i can do.

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 10:56 AM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Pets

• You can call the vet. Sometimes they will give you pain medicine. You don't have to tell your husband, it doesn't need to suffer. If he goes to work can you take it and put it down?
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• this happened to my ex husband, and before his dog died we went puppy shopping......he wanted the same type of dog......and ended up finding a wonderful puppy. The puppy was playful with his older dog...which was a great dog who accepted the puppy. They knew eachother for a few weeks before his older dog died. The transition was not as difficult for him....the new puppy eased the pain....I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but it helped in my situation......good luck!
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 11:00 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• When our dog started getting like that a little over a year or so ago, I knew it was "that time." My DH and I discussed it together and decided that before she got any worse and that she was in "real" or "serious" pain, we should do the humane thing. You need to talk to your DH and just point out that the doggie is unable to contol her normal bowel/bladder functions and is clearly shaking in pain. It will only get worse and he needs to know that! Let him know that you will be with him when you take the dog in and after. I know what this is like and it's soooo hard to take when a much loved pet is dying. I wish you well and (((hugs))) during this hard time.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:07 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• You need to take this dog to the vet to at least have them check the dog out. You both should go and if the vet says it's time maybe your husband except what the doctor says. I know how hard this is i have been there several times in the past few years but if the dog is sufferning and the vet can't do anything the kindest thing you can do is let him go. I would not have the dog put to sleep behind your husband back though that will make it worse but you to be up front with him. I have worked at vet a long time and i have seen many animals suffer because the owner was not ready to except that it was time. Good luck and i am truly sorry.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• you can tell your husband the dog is suffering and needs to go to the vet. That is the most humane thing you can do for him. If your husband truly loves his dog, he will not want to see it suffering.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:22 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• The humane thing to do would be to put him down.. it is sooo hard.. i had to do it with my cat when he was dying from liver failure but its just one of those responsibilities as a pet owner... you don't want him suffering ... and at least you'll get to say good bye.... it'll only get worse... call the vet... take him to the vet with your hubby ... maybe the doctor can say something to make him do it..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Take your husband and the dog to the vet and let the vet convince him that its time. It's hard as heck to let go of your dog but its also selfish to hold on to them when they have no will to live anymore and are suffering. For everything the dog has given and done for your husband, the best thing he can do in return is to let him go in peace and no pain. I work at a kennel and have seen so many people bring in their 14-17 year old dogs and they are miserable. They cant walk without help, they cant hold in their urine or bowels, some are deaf and blind, they need help eating, they just sit there whining in pain or just pace back and forth whimpering (granted putting their dog in a kennel when they are this old doesnt help either, they are stressed). The owners will even admit they know their dogs are in pain but are too heartbroken to put them down. There is a time when its just the right thing to do. Good luck and I'm sorry :(
    Anonymous

• First I want to say sorry I know how hard it can be to lose a four legged loved one. You need to talk to your vet to see if there is anything that you can do to make the dog more comfy. If at all possible you need to convince your hubby to take the dog to the vet and maybe the vet can talk to your hubby about it and ease some of the anxiety of putting him down. I hope the best for you and Good Luck.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• It's not really good to let a dog suffer like that. It made be hard, but you should probably talk to him about putting the dog down. It'll be so much easier than having to waste money on pain medication, waiting for the dog to pass away. You can always find a spot, and bury the dog and have a memorial service for him. The sooner it's done, the easier things will be.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 6:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• How can you watch the dog suffer? Doesn't it bother you more to see it suffer than to see your husband being upset? Your husband is not seeing how bad the dog really is because he is so caught up in the fact that he is dieing.. I had the same thing happen with my mom's dog, I had to tell her it was time he couldn't suffer anymore and she finally realized it and agreed! Why would anyone want their dog to suffer a horrible death just because they are affraid of upsetting the so? It is mean to just watch him die and do nothing, and you know he is in a lot of pain and haven't even tried to ease that up for him is also mean! Please do something for the dog, put other's feeling aside because the dog is the one suffering not your husband he is just sad! HELP THE DOG PLEASE.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jan. 25, 2010