Why is it women have the right to choose when it comes to everything BUT

Being a stay at home mom. Now I’m not talking about those that think it is a right but those that are ok with just Dhs income and they don’t NEED to work.
I see so many working moms on here say that all SAHMs are lazy and are worthless to society. I thought women of the past fought to give us the right to choose what to do in our lives. IMO those that are saying you HAVE to work sound just like all those people that said women CAN NOT do anything. You are telling women what they can and can not do.
Shouldn’t we have the right to choose with out being told we are worthless and lazy?
I just don’t get all the SAHM bashing. I really honestly RARELY see working mom posting. Why do the few that have their panties in a bunch have to bash SAHMs?
It’s all choice.
Even if you are fine with DHs income and you still want to work that is your CHOICE.
Why can’t SAHMs have that same respect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have been both types of mom and I assure you I have never wasted one minute of my life thinking the other type of mom is worthless. People really need to get lives of their own if this is all they have to think about. Sad, really really sad.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• imo..you are only worthless and lazy if you are making your husband struggle to make ends meet while you sit at home with school aged children...if you have school aged children then you can have a day job. If your husband isnt struggling then be a sahm..who cares.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• That is what I am saying tho. Those that are just fine still get bashed by working moms. Saying we are worthless.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Well, this is far from the only subject on here that women would like to see less choice in. You will hear arguments for and against working from home, working out of the home, staying home with your kids - vaccinations, circ, religion, sex ed, home schooling, unschooling, public schooling, breast feeding, bottle feeding, gay marriage, abortion... the list goes on and on.

Unfortunately staying home or working is one of these arguments that only has a right answer for YOU. It is YOUR choice. But I think people see SAHMs as lazy because we are raised believing that we have to grow up and get a job. On the other hand I see just as many Working moms bashed because they leave their kids with sitters and "Shouldn't have kids if they don't want to raise them." The bashing works both ways. Until we all start to understand that others have the right to make the best choice for themselves, we will continue to have this issue!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:05 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Here is one post an anon made the other day that just burned my backside!

"Honey, it's simply a thing of the past. If you remember right, women fought to abolish the very thing all you SAHM are trying to do. It's over.... You need to have YOUR OWN job. You simply cannot retire or support yourself if something were to happen to your SO any longer. If you don't have a job of your own, you will receive no retirement benefits... It's going to suck for you, especially if you get divorced or you lose your husband. You will have no job experience, no benefits.. NOTTA. I think the whole SAHM thing is a lazy route for women to take. HEY WE RAISED OUR KIDS AND WORKED FT. Kids are just fine... we have money AND WE NEEDED NO PA TO HELP US OUT!

Go, get out there and work... Kids or not, it's your civic responsibility. If you're not working, you are no use to society. PLAIN AND SIMPLE!! "
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• imo i think working moms are maybe a tad jealous that they dont get to spend as much time with their kids and the fact that they have to work and we dont for the most part. working moms have it harder i think, they have to be away from their kids deal with childcare, being tired and stressed from work then they come home and be reg moms. but we should all be supporting each other. i know that i dont work as hard as someone who works a full job, but i know SAHMs that do!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• because they wish they could stay home too i guess...i work part time, i'd love to stay home.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I am a stay at home mom, and let me tell you on some days my job is way more involved than my husbands, and he is in law enforcement. His income is fine, but of course more would be better. But at this stage of the game, with my daughter only being 2, and his shifts rotating, it would be impossible for us to have the right care for her and for me to work as well. It is or choice for me to stay home right now, and that is the way it is. Our choices are ours and ours alone and no one has a right to judge our lives based on what they believe is right or acceptable.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:07 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I've never see anyone say all SAHMs are worthless or lazy. In fact, I've see working moms say they wish they could stay home all the time.  I have seen posts complaining about SAHMs collecting assistance so they don't have to work. But I've never seen anyone complain about a mom staying home while her SO supports the family.

On the other hand, I have seen several posts bashing working moms for letting other people raise our kids. I've read some horrible things about moms who put kids in day care, even calling that neglect. The bashing goes both ways.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 11:08 AM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Sometimes I think a working mom who says nasty things about sahm are jealous or feel guilty. or can't mine their own business. Children benefit all the way around with a sahm. Even children criticze their moms for staying home.
    KathyH105

Answer by KathyH105 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 23, 2010