My granddaughter is jokingly talking about killing herself. I know that this isn't to be taken lightly and that it is a sign of a serious problem. She is 26 with 3 children and a lazy husband who does not keep a job for more than a few weeks. What can we do to help her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• That is NEVER a joke. Get her to see a counsellor

Anonymous

• I am so sorry for your situation, and coming from a woman who just had her husband walk out on our daughter and I, leaving me with a huge pile of things to work out and no money to deal with them all, I can say this....please dont say things to her like be strong, get over it, find strngth for your children....etc. I, for the first time ever in my life am suicidal. I am desperately distraught and all I want is support. I dont want/need anyone telling me how to feel or how to react, I just want to know that I have support and love. Maybe you can keep her children for a few days, or ask her to come and stay with you for awhile. Just make sure that you carefully choose your words with her, this is a delicate time in her life. I am 27, alone with a daughter and I only want love and support right now, not advice or judgement. I hope this helps, feel free to email me if you'd like and if she needs support from someone who is .....
    Am19v

Answer by Am19v at 12:23 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Yes get her to a counselor.
    Anonymous

• going thru something similar, I would be happy to email with her as well. Sometimes it helps to know that there are people out there, even if they are complete strangers, that can identify with your situation. And sometimes comfort can be found in talking with someone who doesnt know you and therefore wont judge you. Good luck, and try to stay strong for her. It seems like she needs a solid rock to lean on right now.
    Am19v

Answer by Am19v at 12:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• i would take it seriously...maybe you can offer to keep the kids or stay with her. That would relieve some stress...maybe have a male figure talk to the dh about finding a job or help him get a job.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Persuade her to dump the useless lazy lump, would be a start hes her main worry by the sounds of it, it seems as if hes not there anyway, get her to go to doctors go with her and let her know you will be there to help her, can she not get some work even just a couple of hours a week, if she talks like this its serious.
    Anonymous

• Sounds to me your granddaughter is calling out for help.  I would recommend spending some extra time with her, try to get her into some counseling. 

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I would talk with her and see if she would come and stay with you for a few days or how ever long she needs to get things in order and help her out with the children. She may just really need to be away from her DH. A lazy ass is hard to deal with on top of raising children if makes you feel like you have a extra child. It took two of them to make these children so those two need to raise these children and if he wants to be lazy now that there here them you should step in if you are able to. GL!!! This is a hard situation to deal with cause you REALLY NEED TO WATCH WHAT YOU SAY TO HER.
    Anonymous

• The next time she "jokes" about killing herself...CALL THE POLICE and report that she is threatening suicide. They will take her to the ER for a psych consult and possible 72 hour committal to a psych ward for evaluation and treatment. NEVER take threats of suicide as a joke, they are NOT. She needs help and to get away from her loser husband.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• tyfry...that is the worst advice i think i have ever heard..unless she was actually acting suicidal..if someone did that to me i would probably come out of the hospital and kill them!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2010